Holes In Dividing Head Plate

John,

That's a GREAT idea - after your original inspiration you devised a simple, precise execution method ! I LOVE the fact that the spacing error is not completely cumulative, nice work :)

(Another trick is to allow fractional indexing - for example setting the sector arms to index 14-1/2 holes to get more precision than either 14 holes or 15 holes would provide.)

Thanks for posting your idea, it's excellent and I hope that anyone that reads this thread "gets it" !

Thanks for your kind words.
There's a slight downside, of course ... having to keep track of which tooth you're on! It's no longer a matter of mindless repetition.

Thanks for your kind words.
There's a slight downside, of course ... having to keep track of which tooth you're on! It's no longer a matter of mindless repetition.

Of course, but a simple check list takes care of that.

As home machinists, we're unlikely to object to mindless repetition when the end result is easily within sight - production quantities are unlikely, right ? If I have need to use your excellent method - and that may well happen - I won't be concerned at all about keeping track of the indexing hole by memory. :)

Try compound indexing less than 10 sec better than CNC indexing
Dave

You're right. But some of us (me included) are limited by our equipment. My personal setup is a rotary table with dividing head plates so there is no provision for compound indexing. Good suggestion -

This not hard to make
You're right. But some of us (me included) are limited by our equipment. My personal setup is a rotary table with dividing head plates so there is no provision for compound indexing. Good suggestion -
This is not hard to make a setup for compound indexing I am worked on a set of drawings using standard BS-0 plates.

Dave

Last edited:
We'll be interested in seeing them, Dave, are you going to post the drawings ?

Sorry
The drawings have copy write
But will be on Kindle on Mar 23

Dave

A typical 40:1 dividing head with 3 hole plates does a good job of dividing up to I think 60 divisions. Above 60 divisions, it’s a hit or miss on getting the correct number of increments. I solved the problem by making my dividing head CNC. It didn’t take that long to convert, it’s accurate, fast at indexing and I don’t need a spread sheet (sorry guys). And no more counting this and that. And the infamous, don’t count the hole you are in (Boy, I can remember a BIG screw up because of that error!). And, and, and all that turning! No more, I just push a button now, life is good…Good Luck, Dave.

Well, that's an option that many (most ?) of us don't have :) Nevertheless glad that you found a more elegant solution !

Back