Holt Engine (I hope)

f350ca

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Embarking on a new project.
Bought a set of plans for a model of a 1910 Holt tractor engine, they were the predecessor to Caterpillar.
Its hopefully going to be a 4 cylinder overhead valve engine.
A lot of small parts for my big fingers and machines. lol
1 inch bore and 1 5/8th stroke. It has wet sleeves and individual jugs on a two piece block.
Posted the camshaft gear the other day, started on the front gear case today.
Some scrap aluminum from an aircraft plant, this stuff sure machines nice.
IMG_4445.jpg

IMG_4446.jpg

IMG_4447.jpg

Thanks for watching

Greg

Greg,

I am watching this thread.
I am sure it will be both fun and educational.
Thanks for sharing!

-brino

I will be watching this thread as well. Do you have a picture or drawing of the finished engine so I can have a reference of what you are building.

Good Luck
Roger L

Looks like your making your aspirations a reality. Really nice work. Cheers, Mike

Been busy with other peoples projects, but got a little more done, Slow tedious fun work
Another gear case to drive the distributor.
IMG_4460.jpg

Working on the top half of the block. Not going to be much left of the original billet when done.
IMG_4462.jpg
Making the bore for the camshaft. Started with a carbide spade bit, then a long drill to go through. Had to crank the knee up to get enough travel. Then drilled from both ends as I didn't have a long large drill. Reamed through from one end. Hole was out .001 in x and y axis, pleased with that and a ground shaft slides through.

IMG_4464.jpg

Setting up to finish the inside of the crank case.
IMG_4467.jpg

Thanks for looking

Greg

Roughed out the bottom half/oil pan. The two halves bolt together nicely. Now can finish shaping the sides. Need to stock up on some beter fasteners

IMG_4469.jpg

IMG_4471.jpg

Amazing how long its taken to shape this thing.
Thanks for looking
Greg

Back