Holt Engine (I hope)

Need to stock up on some beter fasteners

Hi Greg,
I recently did my first online order with these guys: https://www.boltsplus.ca/
The shipping price was not unreasonable and they shipped quick.
The only slight pain was they don't publish the prices straight up on their website, you need to submit an order for quote, and then approve the quote at a link they send.
However, the selection was way better than any local supplier, especially since you can't go in and look around.

-brino

Yeah no kidding, that’s a lot of material removal!

Thanks Brino
Checked their site, they post prices, or do they do beter when you get a quote. Have an account at Fastenal, their online prices aren't even close to what I seem to pay.
Ordered a bunch of fasteners tonight from the states from a model train site
https://godshallscustommachining.com
They have scale heads on the nuts and bolts. Their 5 - 40 heads are 3/16 vs 5/16 for a standard one.
Looks a lot more realistic. Need to make up for my machining.
Thanks
Greg

Greg,

Checked their site, they post prices, or do they do beter when you get a quote. Have an account at Fastenal, their online prices aren't even close to what I seem to pay.

Fastenal would not let me set-up an online account without a business number.
They expect me to call to price every damn bolt!
No F'ing way!
I have put them on my "Do Not Use" list.

When I ordered from Bolts+ (end of Dec.) they did NOT show prices, but the online quote was good and fast.
They have done a serious website upgrade, nice! Thanks for letting me know.
Heck they now even have power tool flyer too and the Milwaukee M18 cordless chain saw is priced lower than I bought it for last fall.

Ordered a bunch of fasteners tonight from the states from a model train site
Right, I should have guessed that you want very specific thread-size and heads to match the excellent work you're doing.

Looking forward to more!
-brino

Spent a bunch more time removing metal, trying to find that block in the chunk of aluminum I had. This project has given me a new appreciation as to the cost of a billet engine block lol
Made a mandrel and mounted it on the rotary table and tailstock to shape the curved oil pan and get the angles on the side of the upper block. Worked great, still needs some hand work to get into the corners and break the sharp edges.
IMG_4473.jpg

IMG_4475.jpg

IMG_4476.jpg

IMG_4479.jpg

Thanks for looking

Greg

Made the crankshaft and bearings.
Made the crank from an OLD chunk of shafting, possibly from my grandfathers steam powered saw mill. Hoped age might have reduced internal stresses, no idea if it did. I roughed diameters and shapes allowing material to straighten any distortion. Attempted to grind the shaft final diameters but was disappointed in the finish I was getting so left a thou and used emery and polishing paper to get to size.
IMG_4483.jpg
Milled the taper in the throws then used the indexing head to round the ends.
IMG_4484.jpg

Made a jig to bring to machine the rod journals.
IMG_4488.jpg

Have some large bronze bushings that were replaced in a seismic vibrator, about 60 pounds each, great source for raw stock
IMG_4490.jpg

Machining the middle main bearings.
IMG_4492.jpg

Installed, the crank came out fairly straight, about 1 1/2 thou runout at the middle journal, so had to scrape it out a bit to get a nice free rotation.

IMG_4494.jpg

Thanks for watching.

Greg

Great work. I really like seeing crankshafts being built!
olf20 / Bob

Back