Holt Engine (I hope)

Hi,gbritnell
I like the engine you designed. I want to own it. Can I get any information from you? in any way.

Hi Layne,

If I mention the name like this: @gbritnell (with an "@" symbol in front of his user name) then George will either get flagged that he was mentioned when he next logs in, or even sent an email, depending on how he configured his user settings.

-brino

Thank you @brino
Next time I will pay attention, do you have anything to get the engine from gbritnell?
- Layne

@Layne Lee

You are very welcome.
Sorry, no I have no special connection with him.
I was just trying to help you to contact him.

I will always try to help!
-brino

f350ca......Just found this thread....what fantastic workmanship!! In post 17 is a picture of your lathe. I ran the same model machine for about 8 years in the shop where I worked.

@Layne Lee

You are very welcome.
Sorry, no I have no special connection with him.
I was just trying to help you to contact him.

I will always try to help!
-brino
Thank you, I want to buy some engines from Australia, do you know the channels? Or have any friends you know?

Found a bit of time to work on the engine. Actually spent a lot of time making a few parts lol
Made the water jackets for the cylinders. The bottom flange that bolts them to the block was silver soldered on, as well as the upper water outlet flanges, the lower ones were soft soldered on. They were just too close to the bottom flange to add that much heat.
IMG_4543.jpeg

IMG_4544.jpeg

Thanks for looking.

Greg

Made the cast iron cylinder liners.
Can't source Dura Bar locally, so cut up this chunk of 2 inch thick cast iron for material. Hit a hard spot about the middle of the last cut, dulled the blade so forced it through leaning on the bandsaw. The cut drifted 3/8ths of an in about 4 inches, luckily the right way.
IMG_4554.jpeg

Roughed them into cylinders then bored and honed the bore. Then made an expanding mandrel to hold them while it took the OD down. Was afraid to hold them in a chuck while I took the wall down to 1/16th of an inch. The thinest section of cast iron I've ever machined.

IMG_4550.jpeg

Have to relieve the top flange to give clearance for the 5-40 head bolts. A half thou interference fit at the bottom, may use some Locktite of some sort to ensure the water jackets don't leak into the crankcase.

IMG_4552.jpeg

Thanks for looking

Greg

Looking good, Greg!

I'm only now seeing this thread, will certainly be following along for the rest of your build.

Have the large flywheel machined. Need to do some hand work on the spokes yet. Its 5 1/2 inch dia. The plans call for a keyway and set screw to locate it on the crank. Decided to go with a taper lock hub. Had a #2 morse taper reamer, so that decided the taper.

IMG_4558.jpeg

Thanks for looking

Greg

Back