Holy cow, my PM1236 shipped!

Re: Holy cow, my PM1236 shipped! Update: Delivered, now with pics

The freight company called me yesterday to make an appointment for delivery. They asked if between 10 and 2 was fine, and I said "sure". I asked what kind of truck they were bringing, and they said it would be on a tractor trailer. I asked if there was a box truck available because my driveway is about 600 feet long with a 90 deg. bend in the middle. They said they had a 24' truck they could send. The people at the freight company were very helpful and nice to deal with. R & L Carriers was who was used.

I got the call at 0800 this morning asking if I was at home and could they go ahead and deliver it. About 30 minutes later the driver shows up, looks at my driveway and says no problem. If they had dropped it at the road, I was going to call a rollback to come and tote it the rest of the way for me. The driver gets down the driveway, says he doesn't to get tire marks on the concrete pad in front of the garage, and stops just short of it.

Lathe goes on the lift, lift comes down, drivers rolls it right into the garage. Bing bang boom, takes all of 5 minutes. I am very pleased with the service I received. I thanked the driver and tipped him a 20.

The crate looked fine, no major marks or problems. There was a slightly pushed in area on one end, but it did not look deep or severe. I opened the crate and began checking things over. Everything looked just fine.

When the driver was about to put it in place, he asked which way I wanted it to go. I told him I didn't know which end was which, so it did not matter. When I got the crate open, I was happy to see that I got lucky and the headstock end was facing the right way!

The machine looks like it is fine and all items appear to be accounted for. There were a few surprises in the crate as well. I did not know the lathe came with lead screw covers, but mine did. Also, Matt left the 4 way toolpost on and the quick change set is in a box in the crate. I also received 2 dead centers that I was not expecting. Let's hear it for Matt, Nicole, and the rest of the crew at QMT!!

My lathe showed up with the Mystery Washer that another member received as well.

Fortunately, all this took place before the big storm system that is headed my way.

Tune in next time for the set up...thank you for viewing!

Got the LZ all cleared out..everything shoved in the other corner.
DSC08462.jpg

The driver deftly maneuvering his truck down my driveway
DSC08466.jpg

It was nice that he was considerate about tire marks on the concrete.
DSC08467.jpg

Less than 5 minutes later, the machine was in place. Easiest machine move ever (for me, at least).
DSC08468.jpg

It's like Christmas morning! Glad the headstock is facing the right way!
DSC08471.jpg

The stand and assorted goodies.
DSC08472.jpg

Whew!
DSC08473.jpg

DSC08462.jpg DSC08466.jpg DSC08467.jpg DSC08468.jpg DSC08471.jpg DSC08472.jpg DSC08473.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Holy cow, my PM1236 shipped! Update: Delivered, now with pics

The freight company called me yesterday to make an appointment for delivery. They asked if between 10 and 2 was fine, and I said "sure". I asked what kind of truck they were bringing, and they said it would be on a tractor trailer. I asked if there was a box truck available because my driveway is about 600 feet long with a 90 deg. bend in the middle. They said they had a 24' truck they could send. The people at the freight company were very helpful and nice to deal with. R & L Carriers was who was used.

I got the call at 0800 this morning asking if I was at home and could they go ahead and deliver it. About 30 minutes later the driver shows up, looks at my driveway and says no problem. If they had dropped it at the road, I was going to call a rollback to come and tote it the rest of the way for me. The driver gets down the driveway, says he doesn't to get tire marks on the concrete pad in front of the garage, and stops just short of it.

Lathe goes on the lift, lift comes down, drivers rolls it right into the garage. Bing bang boom, takes all of 5 minutes. I am very pleased with the service I received. I thanked the driver and tipped him a 20.

The crate looked fine, no major marks or problems. There was a slightly pushed in area on one end, but it did not look deep or severe. I opened the crate and began checking things over. Everything looked just fine.

When the driver was about to put it in place, he asked which way I wanted it to go. I told him I didn't know which end was which, so it did not matter. When I got the crate open, I was happy to see that I got lucky and the headstock end was facing the right way!

The machine looks like it is fine and all items appear to be accounted for. There were a few surprises in the crate as well. I did not know the lathe came with lead screw covers, but mine did. Also, Matt left the 4 way toolpost on and the quick change set is in a box in the crate. I also received 2 dead centers that I was not expecting. Let's hear it for Matt, Nicole, and the rest of the crew at QMT!!

My lathe showed up with the Mystery Washer that another member received as well.

Fortunately, all this took place before the big storm system that is headed my way.

Tune in next time for the set up...thank you for viewing!

COOL BEANS! Don't forget the follow up pics after it's in it's final resting place!

Awesome, congrats! Looks like they now come with the micrometer carriage stop & telescoping leadscrew covers. I'm assuming yours has the feed rod clutch also?

Can't wait to see it making chips!

That has got to be a great feeling, and I second the opinion on the trees!

An exiting time indeed. Enjoy.
Looking at those pictures reminds me of my machine arrivals, as I'm sure it does for many of us here.
Thanks for sharing your experience and letting us relive a little of our own.

Thanks, yall. I am looking forward to making chips with it, too. I hope that I will be able to rise to the level of work that I see yall post on this site. I love looking at yalls projects, and your machine delivery and set up threads have been very helpful in planning what all I need to do to get this thing up and running.

Darkzero, I am assuming it comes with the feed rod clutch, but to be honest, I have no idea how to tell. I am assuming that when feeding if the carriage runs into the stop the clutch automatically disengages the feed. Is that anywhere close?

I decided to duplicate GaryK's 2x2 tubing stand and leveling system. I picked up the steel today and just need to find someone that can weld it up. I dont think my little Millermatic 135 can handle it. Maybe it is time to get that TIG I have been dreaming about..

I will post up some more pics as I get it set up. Thanks again for looking and for your comments..oh yeah, and the trees are very nice anim_bannana.gif though it means I live so far out in the boonies that high speed internet is no where to be seen..Yea dialup. unamusedsadbanana.gif

anim_bannana.gif unamusedsadbanana.gif

Thanks, yall. I am looking forward to making chips with it, too. I hope that I will be able to rise to the level of work that I see yall post on this site. I love looking at yalls projects, and your machine delivery and set up threads have been very helpful in planning what all I need to do to get this thing up and running.

Darkzero, I am assuming it comes with the feed rod clutch, but to be honest, I have no idea how to tell. I am assuming that when feeding if the carriage runs into the stop the clutch automatically disengages the feed. Is that anywhere close?

I decided to duplicate GaryK's 2x2 tubing stand and leveling system. I picked up the steel today and just need to find someone that can weld it up. I dont think my little Millermatic 135 can handle it. Maybe it is time to get that TIG I have been dreaming about..

I will post up some more pics as I get it set up. Thanks again for looking and for your comments..oh yeah, and the trees are very nice View attachment 76285 though it means I live so far out in the boonies that high speed internet is no where to be seen..Yea dialup. View attachment 76286

Good luck with it. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours as much as I like mine. I just spent all day behind the lathe and that little machine never ceases to amaze me.

I hope Darkzero won't mind if I answer a question that was directed toward him... Yes, the slip clutch is a safety valve and most folks will use in combination with a carriage stop to prevent a crash. Also, if you adjust the tension on the clutch properly, it's how some people do threading. Adjust the carriage stop where you want the thread to end and let the clutch slip when it hits. I've never owned a machine with a slip clutch but, I gather many folks do it this way.

Ray

My PM1236 arrived last Friday, been looking it over.

I discovered to my dismay that my machine is metric, metric compound and cross slide lead screws and a metric threading lead screw. Can someone confirm if these are metric or imperial. I have some literature that touts it having inch lead screws. What am I missing??????

Craig

Back