Holy cow the Canada fire smoke just hit us in western central New Jersey...

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
Heavy smoke, and smell. I thought we had a local fire... we may, but the area is blanketed with smoke... and on the radio they said people with respiratory issues should stay inside... so I think it's the Canadian fire.

Yep. Supposed to be a weather pattern dragging the Quebec smoke into new England area.

It's the same weather that is keeping it out of Atlantic Canada and bringing us a week or so of rain so I can't complain. The steady rain has helped them get a handle on al the NS fires except one in the south west (Barrington area). Something like 230 square kms burning (23,015 hectares). They're all classified as "contained" except the southern one.

Friday we had 10 "out of control" fires in the province. After the weekend of rain there's only the one "out of control". Hopefully they are able to beat that last one to death in short order too.

We get a few wildfires in NS a season, but never this early and not the size of the ones we have burning now. The Barrington fire is already the largest in NS recorded history.

Out of control wildfires in NS is not a good thing. NS is basically hardwood/softwood forests, peat bog or lakes. Forest so thick I can walk out my back door and be totally lost 5 mins later. Everything besides urban areas basically looks like a solid blanket of trees from the air. We used to hate having to search for missing persons in the woods. Pretty much have to hover taxi at tree top level in "deadmans curve" all day just to part the trees and see anything of the ground. Loose and engine? Good-bye, you're going in.......hard.

Doesn't help that there are entire tracks of forest still deadfall from the last couple years of increased number and intensity of Hurricanes. Lots to burn here.....if you've ever seen a peat bog on fire, you know what I'm talking about. It literally looks like the dirt is on fire. Hell on earth and nearly impossible to extinguish......can travel miles underground with little to no signs and suddenly pop up out of nowhere.....

Last edited:
It could be another one of "those" fires from the Sunnyvale Trailer Park over in Dartmouth. I oughta call ol' Ricky, Julian, and Bubbles, and see how they're doing.

It could be another one of "those" fires from the Sunnyvale Trailer Park over in Dartmouth. I oughta call ol' Ricky, Julian, and Bubbles, and see how they're doing.
Go ahead, you won't get an answer. They're not from around here. Try Toronto.....

Interesting bit of trivia: they didn't film the original series in Dartmouth, That was something like season 3 or 4 when they bought some land and old trailers over in dartmouth in view of the Nova Scotia Power plant. Thats the three big red and white ringed stacks you see in the series sometimes. The "correctional center" they frequent is in Sackville. Used to be a correctional center (what most would call a minimum security prison), but it's decommissioned now and became some type of medical services center.

The original series was filmed in a trailer park on the way to Beaverbank. Name of the park is "Woodbine Trailer park". Used to date a girl that lived there when I was in high school. Woodbine kicked them out after a couple seasons because they wanted to start doing crazy things like burning trailers and such. Woodbine said "not in my backyard" and none else would have them, so they rented land and a bunch of Effed up old trailers.

And no, what the say about trailer park girls is NOT true.....they're all just regular people trying to get by as best they can.

Last edited:
They're not from Halifax? I'm disappointed. I bet they don't really know Sebastian Bach of Skid Row either.

I guess I miss that tie in.. I probably never saw the movie, don't know what movie you guys are talking about.

I guess I miss that tie in.. I probably never saw the movie, don't know what movie you guys are talking about.
It was a decade of Trailer Park Boys series, tv, stand up, improv, musical performances, and a movie or three.

I am right up against the border here. I dish out the TPB references to entertain myself, but it's questionable who is being made fun of. I'm the one that's been a subscription card carrying fan, so, you know, the joke's really on me. Hey, it's either that, or I'm going to figure out how to get a mouse inside an empty bottle of Elsinore.

Back