Holy cow the Canada fire smoke just hit us in western central New Jersey...

I will vouch for the thickness of the bush! Dad’s place in Pubnico, we would trek into one of the woodlots and the world would disappear. The smoke from Quebec fires is hitting all of eastern Ontario all the way to Toronto and here in Niagara area.
Pierre

Last edited:
I will vouch for the thickness of the bush! Dad’s place in Pubnico, we would trek into one of the woodlots and the world would disappear. The smoke from Quebec fires is hitting all of eastern Ontario all the way to Toronto and here in Niagara area.
Pierre
Yeah, people look at NS on the map and think its small so how could you get lost?

Sparsely populated outside the cities and thick as hell bush. You can be standing 5 feet away from someone and not see them. It can take you hours to just cover a mike or two on foot. I love it!

On my survival course outside winnipeg everyone else was miserable and could barely keep themselves alive, I was right at home in the woods. When the instructors finally found me they didn’t want to leave my bivvy. I had a nice big fire, shelter, cooking A frame, drying racks, chairs, lab tea in the boil, etc. They sat around and we talked for a couple hours before they had to go check on the other students. Chuck me in the woods and I’ll be fine.

But get lost here and someone might find your foot in a coyote gnawed sneaker a couple years later. No joke, that happens pretty much once every year. Sometimes after the spring melt, sometimes someone just runs across it in the woods. NS woods are no joke. Lots of hungry critters out there…people like to hike the woods roads, get turned around and then…never seen again.

News is saying the smoke is supposed to get worse in the next couple days for ontario and states south of them. So get used to wearing your n95 masks again, keep the windows shut, heat pumps on and get yourself a great big air purifier…

Last edited:
That same smoke is as far west as Milwaukee WI. Last night the smoke was reducing visibility to under 1 mile.

Haze here today from the smoke . Never got hot , but cloudy and windy , sunny , back and forth . 2 very small thunderstorms blew thru that had no impact on the firepit stove out back .

We have a thick haze here in Northwestern CT, and it smells terrible. My son is doing some outside work at a friends tomorrow and just told him to wear a mask.

Happens to us almost every year. Usually hot at the same time. Miserable.

I just watched this a few days ago.

A couple years ago there was a wildfire so big that most of the area was nothing but smoke for months.
And we had to wear Rona masks to add to it. It was miserable.
But, for whatever reason, wildfire smoke gives me anxiety. I can still function but there's a part of me that thinks the sky could fall at any second. It's hell living with that feeling for a few months.
It's not good that Canada has wildfires this early in the season. Chances are, like here a couple years ago, it's almost impossible to put them out and they burn til the rain comes.

Here's a photo from a few days ago in northern Minnesota. Visibility was about a half mile or so.P1030949.JPG

The air is wretched here.
Eyes watering.
Heavy in the chest.
Smell of smoke even inside most buildings, I guess some particles are too small for many filters.....

Not to mention the apocalyptic colours of the sky, sun and moon.
Never seen this before; hope to never again if/when we get out of the smoke.

Brian

Last edited:
Back