Home Away From Home

One other Catalina question I have seen some with Bimini's and Dodgers installed is there sufficient headroom with the top up to sail or do you have to drop it before getting underway? Thanks TJ

Hi TJ , I agree a guy that has a wife and job does not need a fixer' . Just maintaining is enough . As for the pop top on a Catalina 22 , that is only for when not underway but yes you can stand underneath it also store stuff on top of the slider hatch and then that stuff would be enclosed . Also a bimini that might be a problem on a 22 when underway as the main sheet might get in the way but I forget .

Westsail 28! Nice varnish, very well kept equipment, Great looking boat, Pat! You could go anywhere you want with her!

Ive found I like boats in the 28' - 30' range much more than larger craft - particularly for singlehanded work - and upkeep as well. I restored an Alberg 30 to better than new condition at the turn of the century and sailed the boat many summers on Puget Sound and out in the straits. Only occasionally, perhaps once or twice a year with two people on board. We sold the boat two years ago and 'retired' from sailing. however the boat, at age 61, is still going strong. The new owner sailed her singlehanded from Seattle to SF, thence Hawaii and twice into the south pacific, recently to The Philippines and now anchored in Hong Kong. He reports no gear failures and no deck leaks -(curtesy of Dolphinite bedding compound. And a slave like maintenance routine in the refit, Iam proud to say.)

Looks like your Westsail could easily join the Ba Ha Haha to Mexixo and on to the Pacific puddle jump anytime you get the itch! Fit her up with a Cape Horn Windvane and Bon Voyage! Iam envious!

Glenn

Thanks Glenn , any pics of the Alberg ? I have always liked that boat's nice classic lines , sounds like the new owner is putting on some serious miles .
The Baja Haha , my dream unfortunately not the Ms. , For anyone reading this the Haha is the creation of Richard Spindler of Latitude 38 fame . http://www.villaamordelmar.com/baja-haha-founded-by-richard-spindler/
It's a rally for cruising sailboats , starts in San Diego Ca. and ends in Cabo San Lucas , Mx. Some people sail on to the South Pacific in the rally the Pacific Puddle Jump . Also a Richard creation .

Yep, Dave is on the trip of a lifetime! Here's a couple of shots of Dolce up in the San Juans and sailing on Puget Sound. I set the boat up for the singlehanded Transpac in 2012, but couldn't get there in time due to being becalmed off Cape Flattery for a week - off all places. Endless list of upgrades... Rebuilt the main cabin a bit to add a better sea bunk and double storage size underneath for long passages. Somewhere I have a picture of two of the boat's lines, being lifted out of the water- but they have disappeared off my iPad somehow. If I find them will add below.

Glenn

IMG_0047.JPG IMG_0051.JPG IMG_0053.JPG

Ok! Found a few more. Here are the boat's lines, being lifted out for survey in 2012. Next a shot of the transom after adding 4" bulwarks, new teak Taft rail, provision for streaming a storm drouge, and self steering - the best improvement I ever made to a boat BTW. Finally the 25HP Universal Marine diesel. Looking back , can't believe I sold it. Oh well, console myself buying more machine tools.

IMAG0011.jpg

photo.JPG

photo 2.JPG

IMAG0254.jpg IMAG0204.jpg

Last edited:
Really nice Glenn . Singlehanded Transpac Yikes! I know a few guys in the SSS that have done it . Not for me though .

Back