Registered

1. JT. - 03-10-13, 12:57 AM
    i want to put shinny finish on my frechly polised bare metal parts
    chrome ore simular finish
    electro plating is the way i want to go
    anybody dit thise already and how ?​
    Edit Report IP
  2. fretsman - 03-10-13, 09:35 AM
    I would also be interested to know more about this.

Dave​
    Edit Report IP
  3. eac67gt - 03-12-13, 12:13 PM
    Actual chrome plating at home is a misconception because the chrome process has carcinogen in it that makes it hard to come by for the home do it yourselfer. Now as far as electroplating with zinc and getting a close to finish that can be done. There are many companies that sell these kits. Caswells and Eastwood are two I can think of. It appears to be rather simple but just like anodizing you must be real particular with the whole process. Your worst enemy in any of this is dirt, grease or just about any contaminate.
    I found a bunch of videos on You Tube about home plating. The thing once again I found deceiving was that some call it chroming and it is really zinc plating. Nothing wrong with zinc plating as it will shine up near as good as chrome.
    Once again though I am no expert and have never done this just research. I have seen parts people zinced and they really looked great.
    Have a great day!
    Ed​

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Nickle Cobalt plating plant and it produces exact Chrome-like finishes. This plant consists of six 20 litre drums and two 25 litre drums. The two larger drums are the actual Copper and NiCo plating tanks. The other drums hold sulphuric acid, hydrochloric acid and distilled water. They are the pre-plate cleaning/pickling process. The initial cleaning is done with a strong neutral commercial cleaning 'soap' and hot tap water. There is a variable current power supply for the electrolosis process and a couple of fish tank heaters and air pumps to warm and agitate the chemicals. Sadly the kit became too popular for the supplier to keep up with the demand AND the endless emails asking for help etc. So he stopped selling it and dissapeared off the net. Hopefully I will be able to get the chemicals elswhere when the plant depletes itself. I've already gone through a pair of Nickle anodes. But was able to purchase a hand full from Caswell and weld them together to make up the required size. As you would have gleaned...Caswell sells a smaller version NiCo kit.

I have a Nickle Cobalt plating plant and it produces exact Chrome-like finishes. This plant consists of six 20 litre drums and two 25 litre drums. The two larger drums are the actual Copper and NiCo plating tanks. The other drums hold sulphuric acid, hydrochloric acid and distilled water. They are the pre-plate cleaning/pickling process. The initial cleaning is done with a strong neutral commercial cleaning 'soap' and hot tap water. There is a variable current power supply for the electrolosis process and a couple of fish tank heaters and air pumps to warm and agitate the chemicals. Sadly the kit became too popular for the supplier to keep up with the demand AND the endless emails asking for help etc. So he stopped selling it and dissapeared off the net. Hopefully I will be able to get the chemicals elswhere when the plant depletes itself. I've already gone through a pair of Nickle anodes. But was able to purchase a hand full from Caswell and weld them together to make up the required size. As you would have gleaned...Caswell sells a smaller version NiCo kit.

Hey Rob: This is good information. Can you point us to a link or 2 that shows the process for a home plater? I'd be interested in the process and sure others are interested also. If you decide to post a How-to, start a new thread with an appropriate title Ie: How to produce a Chrome-like plated finish. OR something to that effect. Awesome info.

Here is the one site.
http://www.caswellplating.com

Rob. Smith is right that the business he has using nickel cobalt does create a chrome like finish. The actual chrome finish had been replaced with several other techniques because of the outlaw of chems in actuall chrome finish.

There are other places to get supplies to create chrome like finishes on the internet. These finishes look great and are hard to distinguish between reall chrome and replacements.

Ed

Back