Home Built Die Filer

I started this about six months ago. I'd seen pictures of the Pine Grove (MLA-18). I decided I didn't want to spend quite that much, so after talking to Andy at Pine Grove, I had him send me the drawings and decided to try to build one out of materials I had on hand rather than use his beautiful casting kit. This is what I ended up with.

IMG_1556.JPG

Here's a video of it running.

View attachment IMG_1551.MOV

Last edited:
Monk,

Beautiful job, well done and thanks for sharing.

I too have to echo Greg in rpm speeds, It does seem a bit too fast. I don't want to take anything away from what you've done as it's a very beautiful little machine that you made.
You certainly have options on what you can do, I see a couple of things I can suggest. I'm mostly thinking out loud and just ideas. Your motor is very close to the driven pulley which effects torque and how small of a pulley you can go on the drive side. Luckily these filers do not need much power. I would suggest swapping out your current 4L (or 3L) belt for an AX belt; you'll get increased torque performance with your tight distance and small radius, especially if you go with a 5" pulley that will incur less contact area on the 2" pulley. I believe they make 1.8" pulley but not sure what torque rating they have, it's exponentially less as you go smaller/bigger ratio, the AX belt will certainly help with that.

Another option that I think would match very well with the beautiful work you've done (and only an idea) is to use to a small high torque brushless DC synchro motor that are now being utilized on sewing machines. They're variable speed, with even torque at all speeds and have a really small footprint and there priced well since so many are being made for the sewing industry, there getting rave reviews by the ones who are utilizing them in tool shops. The only factor is that they have a remote elec. box for the controller and it has mechanical lever to control speed to use your foot but with your skills, thats an easy & quick mod to change into a small dial speed knob. Having the speed control and constant torque, you can dial in the perfect speed for the material your filing, there also very quiet & super smooth compared to a regular motor.
I believe Pine Grove adopted their large casted flywheel design like what is seen in the sewing world to give the file more torque with the large mass of weight turning in the flywheel to keep it moving smoothly when applying pressure against the file. They really use this with sailmaker sewing machines.

Again, well done and you have a very nice machine there and impressed with it. Cheers
Thanks for the reply Silverchips. I really wanted Variable Speed DC motor but I was trying to keep the cost down after being unable to use the motors I had on hand. I intend to keep looking though. Thanks for the suggestion, and I will look into the options you suggested

Thanks for the reply Silverchips. I really wanted Variable Speed DC motor but I was trying to keep the cost down after being unable to use the motors I had on hand. I intend to keep looking though. Thanks for the suggestion, and I will look into the options you suggested

No worries and totally understand about cost, it can add up quick.

Here's a link to a cheap one with free shipping/no tax. Trying to cobble up a DC motor set up (ie: treadmill motor) can get expensive once when adding up the DC controller, bracket, accessories and motor. This one includes everything, just discard the mounting bracket as the motor housing has T-slots to adapt your own bracket. You would only need a 300w motor for that filer but not sure they make them that small. The 600w is already much smaller compared a typical 1/4hp motor.

https://www.goldstartool.com/brushless-dc-servo-motor-for-industrial-sewing-machines.htm

PS> Looking forward to seeing it in action and what you're doing with it. Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I'll be sure and check out the videos in more detail. Already sourcing AX belts and a 5" pulley in the meantime.

1st, beautiful work and stellar write-up. Thank you, it's a keeper! Hate to offer something you may have already considered and rejected. But that's to make a nice 2" high platform for your motor for an extra inch size pulley. You obviously have the woodworking skills to pull it off.

Ron

1st, beautiful work and stellar write-up. Thank you, it's a keeper! Hate to offer something you may have already considered and rejected. But that's to make a nice 2" high platform for your motor for an extra inch size pulley. You obviously have the woodworking skills to pull it off.

Ron
Thanks for the kind words! Right now, I'm looking into a 5" pulley on the filer (there's room). I'll see what that does to the speed. I've also got to re-do the main shaft, as it turned out a bit too small in diameter and allows a bit of play. redoing the bearing is more involved and expensive than the shaft.

Wow! Excellent craftsmanship! I bought one on these same casting kits with plans years ago, didn't get started (still have it raw), then found a nice Milwaukee die filer with variable speed drive. That feature is nice. A larger pulley on your die filer would help, but consider a small 3 phase motor with VFD or a DC motor off a treadmill too. Being able to vary your speed really helps. One other option of course is an intermediate shaft to get your speed down. Once again, great workmanship! Mike

Wow! Excellent craftsmanship! I bought one on these same casting kits with plans years ago, didn't get started (still have it raw), then found a nice Milwaukee die filer with variable speed drive. That feature is nice. A larger pulley on your die filer would help, but consider a small 3 phase motor with VFD or a DC motor off a treadmill too. Being able to vary your speed really helps. One other option of course is an intermediate shaft to get your speed down. Once again, great workmanship! Mike
Thanks, MIke. Been out of the shop for a bit due to extenuating circumstances. Intend to make a few changes when i get a chance.

Back