Home Built Lathe 1 micron tolerance

Tozguy

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I never get tired of listening to this man.

NortonDommi

Registered
Registered
I watched this a year or so ago. He is making the point about air bearings being the most accurate we have today.
I don't think I need that level of accuracy.

Tolerent

Registered
Registered
I rarely need better than +/- 3 microns myself. And that's only for an occasional custom made tactical claw hammer. ;)

Tom
Hey, if you are able to pawn off products that are 3 microns off target dimension you are selling claw hammers to the wrong market. Try that sloppy work with a toilet seat for an Air Force contract and you'll end up in the crapper.

On a serious note: I wonder how many do work in the .0001 tolerances. Hard for me to imagine that at this point though I have specified work to a few tenths or about 12 microns tolerance on one occasion. A screw type oil pump on a nuclear submarine. That was before we did QC on parts from OEM product and found they were .003 out of their published tolerances. My specs relaxed after that because theirs was a service proven product.

Last edited:

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
We had a +.0002"/-.0001" spec on a plastic (PEEK) part that was made for us by a Sunnyvale CA job shop. He was able to hold that spec consistantly on the tens of thousands of parts made. Parts were made on a Swiss screw machine. I personally ranked the shop as the best I had ever worked with.

Baer

Registered
Registered
I used to work with +/- .002mm tolerances when building spindles for Yamazaki/Mazak. This was only for surface grinding the bearing spacers, to create bearing press. Very cool lathe.

Alexander McGilton

Registered
Registered
i bought a half millionths DTI for goofs, if you breathe on the stylus the reading changes
Where did you find a 0.5 uin indicator?. Is it even possible for a mechanical devise to have such discrimination? Is this a gauge amplifier that you are describing as simply a DTI? I had once seen a 0.2um Mikrokatoron Ebay and have since believed that anything further had to be the domain of a elctro-mechanical devices.

RJSakowski

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Mike, that's actually 50 millionths. You need two more zeroes for a half millionth.

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock