[4]

Winner Home Grown Cutter Grinder

• Thread starter Deleted member 17524
  • Start date
[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Just the three 1/4-28 set-screws to go.

"Billy G"

102_0521 (800 x 531).jpg

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Done, the ring was added to get more thread engagement. I may put a ball on the "Tommy Bar".

"Billy G"

102_0522 (800 x 531).jpg

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
In place waiting for the Die.

"Billy G"

102_0524 (800 x 531).jpg

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
The first picture is the small die holder I made as an apprentice. It holds 13/16 and 1 inch round dies. Picture 2 shows the size comparison. They both user the same 11/16 arbor.

"Billy G"

102_0525 (800 x 531).jpg 102_0526 (800 x 531).jpg

Walltoddj

Active User
Registered
I know sometimes we've got to do what we've got to do, but I try my darnedest not to use a die to cut threads I like my single point threads. I don't know your lathe but I can cut metric if I change settings and leave the half nut engaged. It works very well because I'll made a couple of pullers and bolts doing it. Your tool looks great I've seen plans for something similar in HSM just never took the time to make it.

Todd

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
During this build I have seen posts and received PMs stating "I hope I can get good enough to accomplish that level of machining." I have a question to those who wish this. How do you know what level you are at if you don't try? Just tell yourself "Yes I Can" and go for it. We are here to back you up. This Forum was started to get you all beyond the "I' not sure I can stage. We were all there once and occasionally we get there again.

"Billy G"

- - - Updated - - -

I know sometimes we've got to do what we've got to do, but I try my darnedest not to use a die to cut threads I like my single point threads. I don't know your lathe but I can cut metric if I change settings and leave the half nut engaged. It works very well because I'll made a couple of pullers and bolts doing it. Your tool looks great I've seen plans for something similar in HSM just never took the time to make it.

Todd

I don't like it either as single point threads are much better. These holders however make Die Threads almost as well as single point. You will really not be able to see the difference between them.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:

xalky

Global Moderator
Registered
During this build I have seen posts and received PMs stating "I hope I can get good enough to accomplish that level of machining." I have a question to those who wish this. How do you know what level you are at if you don't try? Just tell yourself "Yes I Can" and go for it. We are here to back you up. This Forum was started to get you all beyond the "I' not sure I can stage. We were all there once and occasionally we get there again.

"Billy G"
That's right Bill, I agree 100%. We try and we screw up a piece...That's how you learn what not to do.:LOL: I've crashed a few things, and snapped and wore out some stuff prematurely in my day. It's part of the "learning experience". The guy that has more experience than you also has quite a few more mistakes (i mean learning opportunities) under his belt.

Marcel

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!

Todd
Todd --- I was looking thru the Manual last night to see what gears I needed to cut the 1.5 pitch thread. I am missing the 30 tooth gears required to do this. My lathe is capable of cutting 11 metric threads. I will make a call tomorrow and see if I can get them. While at it I will get new half-nuts also. They are getting worn. Thank you for jogging my memory.

"Billy G"

melsdad

Active User
Registered
Bill have you considered making your own gear? That would make a nice project tutorial.

I have never made a gear myself but want to give it a try sometime.

sent from my hand held hickymajig

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
102_1140.JPGGood idea. need to think about that. I have cut gears in the milling machine before. Another memory jog, thank you Brian.

"Billy G"

102_1140.JPG

chuckorlando

Bronze
Registered
I would love a write up on some gear cutting. I have a interest in gear and splines my self. Not sure why, but I like it. ahaha.

I have a very basic philosophy. There is nothing any man can do, that I can not. You give me a need to, and I'll build a space shuttle. I might scrap a trillion dollars in material and ruin 100 books with my highlighter, but I can learn it with desire or need. You get good at chess by getting beat.

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I will see if I can get someone that knows the math and everything else that goes with it. Gear cutting is what he does for a living.

OK, if I go the Die route this is the set-up. I know where there is a Jet 9X20 being parted out. I called this morning and left a message.

"Billy G"

102_0527 (800 x 531).jpg 102_0528 (800 x 531).jpg

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
That looks like a really interesting lathe dog there Bill. Home grown as well? I'd love to see more.
Yes, that one is special. I use it on the rotary table and dividing head only. I put integral gears on crankshafts with it. The brass inserts are the interchangeable parts to fit different diameters.. I have them in at least 2 dozen diameters now.

"Billy G"

102_0529 (800 x 531).jpg 102_0530 (800 x 531).jpg

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
This thread has been viewed by 7.1% of the membership. That is amazing, thank you all. More to come.

"Billy G"

xalky

Global Moderator
Registered
D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
:ups: It's on the truck, but they deliver here after 5:00 PM.

"Billy G"

stevecmo

Active User
Registered
:ups: It's on the truck, but they deliver here after 5:00 PM.

"Billy G"
Well, all I can say is it's a good thing you run a second shift at your shop. :roflmao:

This thread should be mandatory reading for new members. You've shown that fantastic work can be done on smaller machines like your 9x20 lathe and Clausing mill. I started out with a Unimat and was always amazed at what talented folks could turn out with them - just took a little longer. It would be good to get this thread in front of the newb's looking for their first lathe and think they have to buy the biggest.

While we're all waiting patiently, I'm gonna veer OT for a minute. My Rockwell mill is similar in size to your Clausing and I've been thinking about a rotary table. I'm guessing your rotab is a 6"? Can you verify the size and the brand?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Well, all I can say is it's a good thing you run a second shift at your shop. :roflmao:

This thread should be mandatory reading for new members. You've shown that fantastic work can be done on smaller machines like your 9x20 lathe and Clausing mill. I started out with a Unimat and was always amazed at what talented folks could turn out with them - just took a little longer. It would be good to get this thread in front of the newb's looking for their first lathe and think they have to buy the biggest.

While we're all waiting patiently, I'm gonna veer OT for a minute. My Rockwell mill is similar in size to your Clausing and I've been thinking about a rotary table. I'm guessing your rotab is a 6"? Can you verify the size and the brand?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

We have a third shift if all else fails. :rofl: Size of the rotary table will depend on using it vertically. The 6 inch is great. I have a Grizzly with dividing plates. I love it. An 8 inch table will push to the limit.

"Billy G"

Walltoddj

Active User
Registered
Bill what size vise did you get to fit your mill. My dad didn't listen when I told him a 5" would not fit his mill because it gave him no room, after playing with it he bought a 4" so now I've got an extra vise. I might add these have a swivel base on them.

Todd

When you ordered your die I had to look at my inventory that's one that I've got 4 of. We used metric a lot in the factory.

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I need a dedicated vise for my mill. I reworked that craftsmen you see in the pics. 5 inch is ideal. As for the Die, it was tough finding one. Most lists jump from 24mm to 26mm od even 27 mm. HSS is a must, low carbon would ruin what I have done so far.

"Billy G"

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
It isn't looking very good for a delivery today even though the tracking number has it out for delivery. :bawling:

"Billy G"

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
FAITH -- The ability to go forth with no guarantees.

They came, they left, I'm done. Tomorrow we clean all parts for the spindle and assemble it for the last time.

"Billy G"

102_0531 (800 x 531).jpg

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Spindle completed. I can do the sheaves later, I want to get to the tower.

"Billy G"

102_0532 (800 x 531).jpg

chuckorlando

Bronze
Registered
Man you got all kinda cool tools. All looks good from here thats for sure.

Far as small machines go, I bought my 9x20 simply because of the work I seen it do in this thread. Not that I can use it in a means to do such fine work, but I know it can handle it.

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
What make of 9X20?

"Billy G"

chuckorlando

Bronze
Registered
I dont think it has a name on it. Looks just like grizzly one but it's blue. All the gears, 4 jaw, tail stock, the rest and all were still new and wrapped up. I only gave 250 for it with the stand and a bunch of hhs bits new and various grinds and some carbide tipped hf cutters in a box.

It needs the cross slide hand wheel mount fixed but it still works

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
How about a picture, maybe I can ID it.

"Billy G"

- - - Updated - - -

I recut one of my QCTP holders to fit this spring tool holder. This will be for Single Point Threading only. It will do the job with ease.

"Billy G"

102_0533 (800 x 531).jpg 102_0534 (800 x 531).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
[5] [7]