• Welcome back Guest! Did you know you can mentor other members here at H-M? If not, please check out our Relaunch of Hobby Machinist Mentoring Program!

• In order for the Member Map to work properly, you must allow Google services AND Hobby Machinist to know your location. These settings are found in your browser of choice and in your Hobby Machinist profile.

Winner Home Grown Cutter Grinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are going to the trouble of building from scratch, wouldn't it be nice to add speed adjustment? Even with a grinder, you can hit those resonant frequencies and being able to tune them out is a nice feature.

HMMMM -- I have two of these. With that option I could grind other tools that burn easily at high speed like woodworking chisels. Thank you David.

"Billy G"

102_0368 (850 x 565).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure a variac will work for an induction motor (at least under light loads). If you could find a "universal" motor instead of the induction motor you have, then I think the variac would work fine. Course you could always try it. Course you could always machine a few different pulleys to change speed, but that is less of an "on the fly" thing, which is probably what you want if you are hunting for harmonics. Most designs I have seen use a single speed induction motor. For carbon steel (woodworking tools, etc). It may be easier to just make a second pulley that you can switch out as needed.

Great work as always Bill; it's looking real good. Makes me want to get going on mine again (I completed the spindle for a brooks grinder, but since then it's been sitting in a box for 2 years...).

Not sure a variac will work for an induction motor (at least under light loads). If you could find a "universal" motor instead of the induction motor you have, then I think the variac would work fine. Course you could always try it. Course you could always machine a few different pulleys to change speed, but that is less of an "on the fly" thing, which is probably what you want if you are hunting for harmonics. Most designs I have seen use a single speed induction motor. For carbon steel (woodworking tools, etc). It may be easier to just make a second pulley that you can switch out as needed.

A variac will work very poorly with an induction motor. It will work well with a "universal" motor (if it's big enough), but as most are series-wound you will have torque control, not speed control.

That should be about the same 1/4 hp of my Dumore, which can take up to 3" wheels. What's a Tip-Lap?

Tip-Lap was a trade name for Lapping and Grinding Machines made in England. The Base I used was part of a Lapping Machine.

"Billy G"

With its shaft now in place it's time to fit this part to the work base. This may take a little doing to find the correct center height.

"Billy G"

102_0371 (800 x 531).jpg

I now have the motor. There is nothing telling me how to wire it. The label says Volts 110/120 20.0 microfarad. They sent two 10 microfarad capacitors. These need to be wired in parallel to get 20 microfarad, correct?

"Billy G"

I now have the motor. There is nothing telling me how to wire it. The label says Volts 110/120 20.0 microfarad. They sent two 10 microfarad capacitors. These need to be wired in parallel to get 20 microfarad, correct?

"Billy G"

Correct. Post a photo of the nameplate and wiring diagram (if any). The diagram might be inside the junction box.

OK John, I will get that picture later today. Batteries are low. :)) Here is what I think the wiring should be for a single on/off switch. If the rotation is wrong, I just swap the two white wires from the motor Switch is a SPDT..

"Billy G"

102_0372 (800 x 531).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back