[4]

Winner Home Grown Cutter Grinder

• Thread starter Deleted member 17524
  • Start date
[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Hasler

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
We are down to the wire. Paint touch up today and it goes together for the last time. Two guards (belt and wheel) and the aprons and it's over. Everything must come to an end sooner or later.
Next step is to get it dirty. We get pictures of your first tool, don't we?

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Grinding wheels should be here tomorrow. I will post some pics and try a video to explain the adjustments for setting up.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:

chuckorlando

Bronze
Registered
That thing is so pretty. I hope you get a vid up as I would love to see how it all works. It's so pretty I would just set it on a shelf as a trophy ahahaha

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
102_0659 (800 x 531).jpg

The Cutter Grinder is at it's new station where my lathe used to be.. Now to put it to work. Thank you all for following along. As said it has been one h-e-l-l of a journey but fun.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:

Kevinb71

Active User
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Bill
all I can say is WOW. What a fine piece of equipment you have built there. I don't think that any manufacturer's Cutter Grinder could be any better. As has been stated before I would hope you would give us some more of your time and do a video of some of the uses of this. Fantastic work! You have given us all a level to aspire to. Thanks for sharing.

John Hasler

Active User
The Cutter Grinder is at it's new station where my lathe used to be.. Now to put it to work. Thank you all for following along. As said it has been one h-e-l-l of a journey but fun.

"Billy G"
That would have fit right in in a Ladish Co. toolroom in the 1960s. All it lacks is a Gruby Manufacturing Co. nameplate.

stevecmo

Active User
Registered
Ahhhhhh, home sweet home!

That thing looks fantastic sitting on that card file. I assume all of those drawers are now full of freshly sharpened cutters. :whistle:

I would love to find one of those card files at a decent price. The pricing on the ones I've found is out of site.

Just beautiful Bill.

mgalusha

Active User
Registered
Gorgeous! You now have to redo your entire shop to match the beauty of the card file/bench and cutter grinder. :)) Really sweet.

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Pictures of my modest shop will be coming soon in the "Show Us Your Shop".

"Billy G"

Hawkeye

Active User
Bill, that's a thing of beauty. Congratulations on another great project.

Farmer Dodds

Active User
Registered
That is a very nice looking grinder. Looks better than one could buy off the net. Glad this pic came up today, I was starting to have withdrawl symptoms without my daily fix of the Home Grown Cutter Grinder.
Would very much like to see a video of the grinder working. Waiting Patiently.:high5:

Stan

David Kirtley

Active User
Registered
That is really nice. Just out of curiosity, what were the failings in other designs such as the Quorn that you wanted to avoid? Just wondering as it is obvious you put a huge amount of work into the design as well as the construction.

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
The only other design I looked at is the one at the beginning of this thread David. I knew what I wanted it to and went from there and just created my own.

"Billy G"

melsdad

Active User
Registered
She sure looks pretty all finished up! So how is the grinding going?

sent from my hand held hickymajig

Hawkeye

Active User
Bill, congratulations on Project of the Month. Totally expected!

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Thank you, I didn't see this coming? What an honor. I find myself at a complete loss for words.

"Billy G"

melsdad

Active User
Registered
Bill you absolutely deserve project of the month! !! Congratulations! !!!

sent from my hand held hickymajig

O

ome

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Hi Bill,
There is something very special about your work, and it shines thru on this beautiful tool and cutter grinder.
Congratulations, on winning project of the month.
Thank You for sharing,
Jon

xalky

Global Moderator
Registered
Congratulations on the project of the month Bill! Now go sharpen something and show us how you did it.:lmao:

Marcel

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I would love to Marcel but no wheels yet. I will see what I have here.

"Billy G"

iron man

Active User
Registered
Great Job I have a dovetail cutter you can practice on!!! Very nice work.. Ray

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I would like to take a moment to thank the entire membership for following along and prodding me now and then to keep me going. It would have been easy to get burned out on this one. I hope the newbies got the message that a full compliment shop is not needed to complete something like this. Again thank you all. It really was fun. Some of the operations brought back many memories, not all good ones, but fun.

I wish all of you good luck on what-ever you choose as a project. Till next time, Have Fun.

"Billy G"

gmcken

Registered
Bill, your work is the most inspiring work that anyone could view. You should consider putting this build into a book form with pictures for everyone to see what can be done in the home shop. I feel this should be the Project of the year! Great Work!

David S

Active User
Bill this has been an awesome thread. I think it was a no brainer to be nominated for project of the month.

I have a modest shop for mostly small work as in old clock repair and restoration. I like to repair of make parts rather than buy. I also don't have a full service show. My motto is "know your limit... work within it". And sometimes it takes a bit of innovation and ingenuity. You have demonstrated what can be done with limited but optimal tools. I have learned a lot.

A very sincere thank you.

David

Splat

Active User
All I can say is Wow! Beautiful work there, Bill! Thanks for taking us along on the ride and for the pics. :applause:

Nikon Ron

Active User
Registered
GREAT job Bill!! This thread demonstrates what can be done at home when one sets ones mind to it. I really enjoy your posts as well. Thanks for your efforts for all of us.

John_Dennis

Active User
Registered
The two white and one black are from the motor. In England they are actually two white, one blue. I don't totally understand how they work. I think it is two windings on the motor. Everything works fine at this point. I've had it running. The ground (green) will be moved. The power cord will have a male plug at both ends. One for the house receptacle the other for the receptacle on the side of the box.

"Billy G"

2 male plugs is a significant safety hazard and not a good practice at all. If the plug comes out of the box end, it will be hot and exposed and could result in fire or electrocution. They make a recessed plug for computer equipment that will allow you to use a standard computer power supply cord to connect your box. You can pull one off of any old desktop computer for free.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
[5] [7]