• Welcome back Guest! Did you know you can mentor other members here at H-M? If not, please check out our Relaunch of Hobby Machinist Mentoring Program!

• In order for the Member Map to work properly, you must allow Google services AND Hobby Machinist to know your location. These settings are found in your browser of choice and in your Hobby Machinist profile.

Winner Home Grown Cutter Grinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bill Gruby

Forum Guest
Register Today
102_0246 (650 x 432).jpg

With the demise of the grind shop I use to grind end-mill etc. I need to get a dedicated Cutter Grinder. A few years ago I was given some parts from a Tip Lap Grinder. Today I went shopping with the little woman and found that Sheet Cake Pan at a restaurant supply house. The wheels started turning an my head and a Cutter Grinder came into view.

It will take quite a little imagination and work to pull this off bet the journey will be well worth it. Stick around, this will be fun.

"Billy G" :thinking:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm watching, Bill. I built an R8 collet spindle a few years ago with most of the angle adjustments worked out, but it stalled and I need to build the motor/grinder module to get it back on line.

That's on the menu to be done first Hawk. Grind head is #! then I can align the Work Head to it and build up from there. I've been going to do this up for some time now. I hope it will help you with yours. That pan was only $11.95. I couldn't fabricate one for that.

"Billy G"

I've been tempted to launch a Quorn project, but located a Rockwell grinder that runs I can get reasonable. That way I can focus on buying or building just the missing accessories. Or I can tool up my small SG for it. A little awkward, but workable as a tool grinder. The sure come in handy.

untitled (752 x 500).jpg
This is what we are shooting for guys. This one is by David Haythornthwaite. Tony, if you look close a lot of the one in the picture is Quorn cloned. I have the Quorn Mk II prints here. I am going with a 5C work head.

"Billy G"

102_0248 (700 x 465).jpg
After total disassembly it is about what I expected. I got lucky as most of the parts I need from this are OK. The missing parts I can make and some parts for my use will need to be done. Gonna take some work but it looks lik a doer.

"Billy G"

102_0249 (750 x 498).jpg
Big relief, the thrust bearing is OK.

"Billy G"

102_0251 (650 x 432).jpg
These riser blocks need to be modified. That is todays project so far. The black hashed areas need to be removed.

"Billy G"

Bill,
You know that when you get this project done your going to be swamped with requests for a place to send cutters for sharpening. I for one know I would love to find a reliable high quality fellow who I know would do the best job possible everytime. Any possibility to save or salvage any of the equipment the fire damaged? If for no other reason than to have a pattern for reverse engineering suitable replacements or for that fact as templates for an entirely whole new machine? I had looked into doing the Foley-Bellsaw circular saw sharpening deal when I first got disabled and putting up a card in all the box stores and larger building supply houses. Cant remember why I decided not to pursue it now, but it must have been a good reason back then. Might have to revisit that and have another look and see if it is a viable source of income for raw materials and equipment to support this hobby. Could turn out that my hobby could become self supporting with a little patience and time...

Bob

102_0252 (650 x 432).jpg
102_0252 (650 x 432).jpg
102_0253 (650 x 432).jpg
102_0252 (650 x 432).jpg
102_0253 (650 x 432).jpg
The insurance company won't let us anywhere near the place. The investigation is still ongoing. When it's done all the property is theirs. Sad.

OK, they are rough cut. And done.

"Billy G"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back