• Welcome back Guest! Did you know you can mentor other members here at H-M? If not, please check out our Relaunch of Hobby Machinist Mentoring Program!

• In order for the Member Map to work properly, you must allow Google services AND Hobby Machinist to know your location. These settings are found in your browser of choice and in your Hobby Machinist profile.

Winner Home Grown Cutter Grinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking good Bill! Wood is good and it's cheap. Better to experiment with a free or cheap scrap piece of wood than a $100 piece of good metal. :))

Now to wait for material. There was no reference to the fore and aft location of the spindle. I checked it against a professional cutter grinder at a friends' shop. With the workstation vertical it should be 2" center to center. We are now good to go.

"Billy G"

102_0305 (750 x 498).jpg

Just checked on the materials and they should start arriving on Monday. These are two shots of the process of backing up the dimensions arrived at in the last two days. As said earlier, we are good to go.

"Billy G"

102_0306 (650 x 432).jpg 102_0307 (650 x 432).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think my 1/4 hp Dumore tool post grinder would be adequate? Or do you simply need a larger wheel?

The original by my friend in England uses a "Parvalux 1/8 HP 2800 RPM. The Dumore will do just fine. I have a "Parvalux" but it is 3600 RPM. I need to adjust pulley sizes to make it work. The spindle has two speeds on the original, one at 2800 RPM and the other 5700 RPM.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Yeah, I was hoping to utilize the tp grinder with whatever I could put together from the secondary market...like most of my stuff. Had been watching the auctions to see what was out there. Thinking along those lines I came across your great thread. Most of the end mills I have came to me, used. Same with lathe cutting tools. My lathe and vertical mill are ancient. But I'm older. Looking forward to mastering the skill necessary to re-grind standard end mills and other tools. What you are building seems just what is needed.

I have been trying to locate the thread size for a ER 20 collet nut. So far nothing. Does anyone know what it is or can you lead me to a source of this info? I would like the SAE size but metric will work. The spindle taper will be ER 20 for this project.

"Billy G"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back