• Welcome back Guest! Did you know you can mentor other members here at H-M? If not, please check out our Relaunch of Hobby Machinist Mentoring Program!

• In order for the Member Map to work properly, you must allow Google services AND Hobby Machinist to know your location. These settings are found in your browser of choice and in your Hobby Machinist profile.

Winner Home Grown Cutter Grinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
I told you I was ignorant on this stuff. I can easily change them. Thanks.

"Billy G"

If you want a removable cord, you could try one of these (or a variant)

http://www.newark.com/multicomp/jr-...Shye0Dzw|pcrid|33869844621|plid|&CMP=KNC-GPLA

It is a standard plug used on computers and a number of other electronic goods. The main benefit is that the cords are available in various lengths and tend to be cheap because you get them with just about everything you buy ;) These receptacles are also available with integrated on/off switches and/or line filtering. If you can't find one locally, or you don't want to order one, let me know, I have a surplus place near my house; I could toss one in the mail for you.

Now that I understand that the power is coming from the receptacle (thought that was the output), I think your ground is good, but you may want to add a ground output to attach to the frame of your grinder. Simple to do, and makes sure you don't get a zap from exposed metal. You may also consider adding a fuse holder, something like this

http://www.newark.com/littelfuse/03...4?MER=PPSO_N_P_FuseBlocksHoldersAndClips_None

so you don't have to open things up to replace it.

That little enclosure looks real clean Bill. Don't want to discourage you; you said you were a little iffy on the electrical side, and we want to keep you safe so we can continue following along ;)

After writing all that, I found a surplus IEC receptacle that has an integrated fuse holder for way cheaper.

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/ACS-56/IEC-RECEPTACLE-W/FUSE-HOLDER/1.html

I have already made the plate to cover from the inside. I will wire it direct before I get any more discouraged. The hole is not that noticeable. :banghead:

"Billy G"

I have already made the plate to cover from the inside. I will wire it direct before I get any more discouraged. The hole is not that noticeable. :banghead:

"Billy G"

Bill I have been watching your progress. Please don't get discouraged, we are just trying to make sure that you don't make something that could electrocute someone in the future. You are obviously a skilled machinist, and just need a bit of help with the electrical.

Good luck and keep posting.

David

It has nothing to do with any comments. When I was 16, the car in front of mine hit a pole. It broke that pole and wires were everywhere. The very top wire was headed for my car. I reached for the handle and that's the last I remember. I woke from a coma in the hospital 4 days later. I was told that I was thrown out the other side of the car. When it comes to electricity I draw an automatic mental block. That's why this is easy for most but not for me. Sorry if it came across the other way. Discourage comes from my inability to move past the past.

"Billy G" :thinking:

I told you I was ignorant on this stuff. I can easily change them. Thanks.

"Billy G"

Bill--it just shows you how many interested friends you have following your super project and we all care for everyones safety---Dave

Again, thank you everyone. I will get thru this, I always do.

"Billy G"

Is there anything available other than this type of wire clamp? It's UGLY. I am also going to fuse the line as suggested. Didn't see Molly walk in. She never misses a chance to be seen.

"Billy G"

102_0392 (800 x 531).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back