• Welcome back Guest! Did you know you can mentor other members here at H-M? If not, please check out our Relaunch of Hobby Machinist Mentoring Program!

• In order for the Member Map to work properly, you must allow Google services AND Hobby Machinist to know your location. These settings are found in your browser of choice and in your Hobby Machinist profile.

Winner Home Grown Cutter Grinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love a write up on some gear cutting. I have a interest in gear and splines my self. Not sure why, but I like it. ahaha.

I have a very basic philosophy. There is nothing any man can do, that I can not. You give me a need to, and I'll build a space shuttle. I might scrap a trillion dollars in material and ruin 100 books with my highlighter, but I can learn it with desire or need. You get good at chess by getting beat.

I will see if I can get someone that knows the math and everything else that goes with it. Gear cutting is what he does for a living.

OK, if I go the Die route this is the set-up. I know where there is a Jet 9X20 being parted out. I called this morning and left a message.

"Billy G"

102_0527 (800 x 531).jpg 102_0528 (800 x 531).jpg

That looks like a really interesting lathe dog there Bill. Home grown as well? I'd love to see more.

Yes, that one is special. I use it on the rotary table and dividing head only. I put integral gears on crankshafts with it. The brass inserts are the interchangeable parts to fit different diameters.. I have them in at least 2 dozen diameters now.

"Billy G"

102_0529 (800 x 531).jpg 102_0530 (800 x 531).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread has been viewed by 7.1% of the membership. That is amazing, thank you all. More to come.

"Billy G"

:ups: It's on the truck, but they deliver here after 5:00 PM.

"Billy G"

:ups: It's on the truck, but they deliver here after 5:00 PM.

"Billy G"

Well, all I can say is it's a good thing you run a second shift at your shop. :roflmao:

This thread should be mandatory reading for new members. You've shown that fantastic work can be done on smaller machines like your 9x20 lathe and Clausing mill. I started out with a Unimat and was always amazed at what talented folks could turn out with them - just took a little longer. It would be good to get this thread in front of the newb's looking for their first lathe and think they have to buy the biggest.

While we're all waiting patiently, I'm gonna veer OT for a minute. My Rockwell mill is similar in size to your Clausing and I've been thinking about a rotary table. I'm guessing your rotab is a 6"? Can you verify the size and the brand?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back