• Welcome back Guest! Did you know you can mentor other members here at H-M? If not, please check out our Relaunch of Hobby Machinist Mentoring Program!

• In order for the Member Map to work properly, you must allow Google services AND Hobby Machinist to know your location. These settings are found in your browser of choice and in your Hobby Machinist profile.

Winner Home Grown Cutter Grinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, all I can say is it's a good thing you run a second shift at your shop. :roflmao:

This thread should be mandatory reading for new members. You've shown that fantastic work can be done on smaller machines like your 9x20 lathe and Clausing mill. I started out with a Unimat and was always amazed at what talented folks could turn out with them - just took a little longer. It would be good to get this thread in front of the newb's looking for their first lathe and think they have to buy the biggest.

While we're all waiting patiently, I'm gonna veer OT for a minute. My Rockwell mill is similar in size to your Clausing and I've been thinking about a rotary table. I'm guessing your rotab is a 6"? Can you verify the size and the brand?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

We have a third shift if all else fails. :rofl: Size of the rotary table will depend on using it vertically. The 6 inch is great. I have a Grizzly with dividing plates. I love it. An 8 inch table will push to the limit.

"Billy G"

Bill what size vise did you get to fit your mill. My dad didn't listen when I told him a 5" would not fit his mill because it gave him no room, after playing with it he bought a 4" so now I've got an extra vise. I might add these have a swivel base on them.

Todd

When you ordered your die I had to look at my inventory that's one that I've got 4 of. We used metric a lot in the factory.

I need a dedicated vise for my mill. I reworked that craftsmen you see in the pics. 5 inch is ideal. As for the Die, it was tough finding one. Most lists jump from 24mm to 26mm od even 27 mm. HSS is a must, low carbon would ruin what I have done so far.

"Billy G"

It isn't looking very good for a delivery today even though the tracking number has it out for delivery. :bawling:

"Billy G"

FAITH -- The ability to go forth with no guarantees.

They came, they left, I'm done. Tomorrow we clean all parts for the spindle and assemble it for the last time.

"Billy G"

102_0531 (800 x 531).jpg

Spindle completed. I can do the sheaves later, I want to get to the tower.

"Billy G"

102_0532 (800 x 531).jpg

Man you got all kinda cool tools. All looks good from here thats for sure.

Far as small machines go, I bought my 9x20 simply because of the work I seen it do in this thread. Not that I can use it in a means to do such fine work, but I know it can handle it.

I dont think it has a name on it. Looks just like grizzly one but it's blue. All the gears, 4 jaw, tail stock, the rest and all were still new and wrapped up. I only gave 250 for it with the stand and a bunch of hhs bits new and various grinds and some carbide tipped hf cutters in a box.

It needs the cross slide hand wheel mount fixed but it still works

How about a picture, maybe I can ID it.

"Billy G"

- - - Updated - - -

I recut one of my QCTP holders to fit this spring tool holder. This will be for Single Point Threading only. It will do the job with ease.

"Billy G"

102_0533 (800 x 531).jpg 102_0534 (800 x 531).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back