• Welcome back Guest! Did you know you can mentor other members here at H-M? If not, please check out our Relaunch of Hobby Machinist Mentoring Program!

• In order for the Member Map to work properly, you must allow Google services AND Hobby Machinist to know your location. These settings are found in your browser of choice and in your Hobby Machinist profile.

Winner Home Grown Cutter Grinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't wait. The three nylon locating pins are in. .006 oversized and pressed in.

"Billy G"

102_0548 (800 x 531).jpg

The three nylon locating pins are in. .006 oversized and pressed in.

Interesting - will nylon pins really hold those two plates together securely through the rest of the machining? I would not have guessed that... but that's all it would have been is a guess. I'm curious, is there any rule of thumb you used to know it will work, or is it just based on experience? Thanks.

Interesting - will nylon pins really hold those two plates together securely through the rest of the machining? I would not have guessed that... but that's all it would have been is a guess. I'm curious, is there any rule of thumb you used to know it will work, or is it just based on experience? Thanks.

It is based on past practice. If it were just one or two it would probably fail at the worst possible time. Being three points I have complete faith in it. I don't like to bolt parts together like a lot of machinists do. Also the three hole will be for something else later. It's one of those things that I do and have done that works for me. Hope this answers your question?

"Billy G"

Got started late. 1 1/8 is the biggest I have in these drills. Time to Bore. War Dept. just given me a list over the phone of things to do. Be back at it later ---

"Billy G"

102_0549 (800 x 531).jpg

2.253 and done. Just shape it now and these parts are complete. Yes, that's a flycutter. They make great boring tools also. I reset for the next cut with a Dial Indicator. I cut .100 at a time. The nylon plug locators are rock solid as always.

"Billy G"

102_0550 (800 x 531).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Clausing 8520.

Just the lock screws and these are done. They are a nice slip fit.

"Billy G"

102_0552 (800 x 531).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back