• Welcome back Guest! Did you know you can mentor other members here at H-M? If not, please check out our Relaunch of Hobby Machinist Mentoring Program!

• In order for the Member Map to work properly, you must allow Google services AND Hobby Machinist to know your location. These settings are found in your browser of choice and in your Hobby Machinist profile.

Winner Home Grown Cutter Grinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPS just arrived with the 1018 CRS (1.5 X 3 X 12) for the "Pivot Block". The "Pivot Block" is the last major component of this project. We start sometime tomorrow.

"Billy G"

Ooh, Bill. Your speed handle just made my 'must have' list. Looks great.

Just a piece of 1/8 X 1 X6 6061 with two holes to match the handle and one at the other end fot a drawer pull I salvaged some time ago Mike. I made it faster than I typed this description. :rofl::rofl:

"Billy G"

Step drilled the elevator hole to 1 1/8 inches. Now we bore to 1 1/2 inches. The binder is locked in place during this operation to get the correct size and location. In the second picture you can see the binder.

"Billy G"

102_0582 (800 x 531).jpg 102_0583 (800 x 531).jpg

.060 to go. I think I'll switch to my small Boring Head. That bushing is my master.

"Billy G"

102_0584 (800 x 531).jpg

Floor please. Pivot elevator almost done.

"Billy G"

102_0585 (800 x 531).jpg

After tweaking everything is parallel. Tomorrow is shop cleaning. It hasn't been done in a week or so.

"Billy G"

102_0586 (800 x 531).jpg

Looking very good, Bill. I see you didn't use brass for the binder. Is that because the column is SST? Dissimilar metals and all?

I'm thinking I'll use CI for the pivot block, since I have some 1 1/2" thick.

The original was built with a drill rod column. It had a brass binder. The gent replaced it because of slippage. I have been having very good luck with 7075 for binders against hard metals. No slippage as yet. All of my binders to this point have been 2 piece. This one is 1 piece. I'm not sure how it will hold up. This is a first for me. The column on this one is 303 SS. Time will tell. CI is a good choice for the pivot block.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back