• Welcome back Guest! Did you know you can mentor other members here at H-M? If not, please check out our Relaunch of Hobby Machinist Mentoring Program!

• In order for the Member Map to work properly, you must allow Google services AND Hobby Machinist to know your location. These settings are found in your browser of choice and in your Hobby Machinist profile.

Winner Home Grown Cutter Grinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
For you neophytes, the four jawed chuck is your best friend, not your enemy. It in my opinion is as versatile as they come. Once you have overcome the time barrier of chucking parts it's a piece of cake to use. This takes practice and there is more than one way to do it. I use a single key as opposed to the two key method some use. A set up like this one takes no longer than 30 or 40 seconds to start cutting. Look closely, one jaw is in opposite of the other three. This is common practice, hence the word versatile. That chuck very seldom leaves the spindle.

"Billy G"

102_0626 (800 x 531).jpg

Bill,

Forty years ago when I got my lathe I was light on cash so got the 4 jaw independent. Never looked back. I am a two key guy. However never thought about reversing one jaw to handle something odd. Thank you for the great tip.

David

I've always used a 3 jaw or a collet for the work I did, but I do have a 4 jaw for my shop lathe it needs to come apart so I can take all the sharp edges off it. If you clamp on a part the jaws dig in due to the jaws never being deburred on assemble.

Todd

Last shot today. Only the stylus and one set-screw before bolting the Tooth Rest down. Short answer for how it works. The stylus has the cutter tooth resting on it just behind the cutting edge. When you push forward and twist clockwise on the work head the cutters spiral will follow the rest and spiraling to grid the side of the cutter.

"Billy G"

102_0627 (800 x 531).jpg

The real deal Stylus will have a much more pronounced point on it. This set screw shows how it works (I hope). Pushing from left to right on the work head while turning it clockwise lets the cutting lip ride on the Stylus. This allows a perfect twist grind on the sides of the cutter being ground.

"Billy G"

102_0628 (800 x 531).jpg

Re: Home Grown Cutter Grinder--ONE MORE QUES.?

Bill--been following this build since you began the build. just want to say thank you for sharing - your work is absolutely amazing and really shows what can be accomplished and what is meant by ''attention to detail''. one ques, although we have not seen any grinding stones as yet--it appears to me that no matter what shape or size of arbor is needed to mount the stones ----you will be able to mount the required arbor in the collet chuck on the end of the spindle . am i reading this correctly??
thanks again for sharing and particularly for all the pictures. re steve in mt.

You are correct. This is why the ER20 collet was chosen. Any wheel shape that can be mounted can be used on this grinder. I will be able to reshape or regrind any tool you can come up with. The problem will never be the wheel, it will be how to hold the tool for grinding. Hope this is the answer you were looking for?

"Billy G"

Re: Home Grown Cutter Grinder-- SOME thoughts

BILL-- the collet holder leaves you with a myriad of options--that's cool planning. now when this grinder is all completed and the first tool is ground we will all step back and go ''that''s really cool''.but lest not forget- the one thing that really amazes me is the thought that went into this grinding tool even before, or as the first sketches were put on paper. there certainly was a lot of ''thought and planning '' preceding cutting the first pieces of metal. thanks again re steve in mt.

Thank you Steve. I know I said I was done for the day but I was so close to having all the parts in place that I broke my own rule and continued after I was wore out. Everything is bolted down here. Now I am done.

"Billy G"

102_0629 (800 x 531).jpg

So sweet. So you hold the end mill by hand?

I used the 4 jaw for the first time last week. Learn to stop chasing your own tail it aint to bad. Absolutely needed if you like em or not best I can tell. They can be intimidating at first but really simple in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back