• Welcome back Guest! Did you know you can mentor other members here at H-M? If not, please check out our Relaunch of Hobby Machinist Mentoring Program!

• In order for the Member Map to work properly, you must allow Google services AND Hobby Machinist to know your location. These settings are found in your browser of choice and in your Hobby Machinist profile.

Winner Home Grown Cutter Grinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
That was a joke, right. No you do not hold the end mill in your hand to grind it. Man I'm tired. At first with a four jaw the hard part is remembering which way to turn. Try two keys at once. Turn one in the other out. I only need one. Minus you back out, plus you turn in.

"Billy G"

No not a joke. But in my defense I did think it was a terrible way to sharpen one and I must really misunderstand what you have been building if you did have to. ahahaha. But I did have to sharpen and radius a end mill by hand in school this week. All we got is a angle grinder or surface grinder. This how I know it aint very precise method

Figuring out what way to go on the 4 jaw is the chasing of the tail I was talking bout. It took me a good 30min to get it right. Just when I get it close, I hit the wrong one and mess it all up.

If you are reading on the minus side of the gage you need to go plus. This translated to moving that jaw out. Then all you need to do is to move the jaw opposite in to hold. It's as simple as that. If you use 2 keys you move both jaws at the same time watching the gage. Move till you are half the total distance and you are there. You will get thye hang of it, it takes time and practice.

The cutter in my hand was only to dhow how the lip rode the stylus, not how it's ground. It will all come into place when done.

"Billy G"

Need light weight pulleys and can't find what I want so we make them. It's time to get the drive going.

"Billy G"

102_0630 (800 x 531).jpg

Bill,if you want to sharpen small end mills,I might suggest you make a "finger" that is thin and flat,but rigid enough to stand the pressure of the grinding wheel. That round finger will be fine for large end mills,but way too fat for grinding,say,a 1/8" end mill. I'm not sure how small you can grind with the round finger,but my old Weldon has a flat finger that tapers up to a rounded tip. The base of the finger is thicker than the tip in both width and thickness. Probably a spring temper. I can do 1/16" end mills with it. The flat finger is thin enough to get into very small flutes.

Can you rock the cutter away from the wheel on the return trip? My Weldon also has that ability. It would be hard to keep the finger on the flute for the return trip if it were against the wheel.

Two 3's and a 2 inch blank. 1:1 = 3400 RPM The 3" and 2" will yield 5100 RPM. Covered on all counts George.

"Billy G"

102_0631 (800 x 531).jpg

Bill,

From where I sit those went from square to round pretty quick. How did you do that? I think I would still be mounting my rotary table. :lmao:

Thanks, Dave

Turned them in the lathe using a threaded arbor. Cut the corners off with the band saw first.

"Billy G"

Bill, I must say that I admire your tenacity. It would take me years to get a project that size done, just because other, higher priority, stuff seems to come up all the time. This weekend I have to (finally) get my truck running and haul off the garbage, and then I need to get the garden ready to plant before I will be able to get back in the shop and try to make progress towards some of my goals in there. I usually keep more than one project going, so that when I'm waiting on parts for one I can work on the others, but progress can be agonizingly slow. It doesn't help that I'm impatient :). Great job on that grinder. I just got my K.O. Lee unit set up, and I am re-reading K.O. Lee's book on using it. It's quite a good reference for someone who has never sharpened tools before, it really gave me a good understanding of how it is done. Now just to brush up and start out on the big end mills.

Bill, I must say that I admire your tenacity. It would take me years to get a project that size done, just because other, higher priority, stuff seems to come up all the time...

Yeah, well honed work ethic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back