• Welcome back Guest! Did you know you can mentor other members here at H-M? If not, please check out our Relaunch of Hobby Machinist Mentoring Program!

• In order for the Member Map to work properly, you must allow Google services AND Hobby Machinist to know your location. These settings are found in your browser of choice and in your Hobby Machinist profile.

Winner Home Grown Cutter Grinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you guys go with the "standard" bearings, or the precision version? With the prices I am looking at, I looks cheaper to go with the matched pair of ABEC7 radial contact bearings rather than buying two precision tapered rollers ;).

Mine are High End rated to over 5000 RPM. Yes they get expensive when you go that route. As long as you don't need a heavy duty spindle the ABEC7 bearings will do fine for your application. My low RPM is 3400 and the high end is 5100 RPM.

"Billy G"

Coolant feed line will be installed today. Yup that's polished Brass. Gotta keep appearances up. :rofl:

"Billy G"

102_0646 (800 x 531).jpg

The Brass pipe was .817 diameter. I bored a Bronze flanged bushing to an interference fit. The OD of the bushing is 1.000 so I bored a 1.000 hole thru the base. The bushing is a nice tight fit. The plumbing to this point is completed. The legs are next then the apron.

"Billy G"

102_0647 (800 x 531).jpg 102_0648 (800 x 531).jpg 102_0649 (800 x 531).jpg

Did you guys go with the "standard" bearings, or the precision version? With the prices I am looking at, I looks cheaper to go with the matched pair of ABEC7 radial contact bearings rather than buying two precision tapered rollers ;).
I don't want to Hi-jack Bills thread.

The bearings I bought are the precision variety. They were New old stock, bought off Ebay. I paid $35 for the pair, which was a great deal.

Who's Jack and why are you saying Hi to him? :laughinghard:

"Billy G"

Yeah, $35 for the pair is a great deal. New precision Timkens are about $140 per unit (without the cups) on Amazon. YIKES.

Again Bill, I'm really loving the details your putting into this thing. Based on the placement if you coolant and drain, is the whole thing going to sit on top of the sump, or are you going to run some hoses to a sump on the floor?

It drains to the left from where it is then down to the tank. This will not be touched for the next 72 hours. I will get the legs and apron done while waiting. What size Timken Bearings are you looking for Dave? I can do better than that price all day and all night. I have some High End sizes here.

"Billy G"

102_0650 (800 x 531).jpg

Its funny, my name isn't Dave, but many people think it is (though, admittedly it _is_ my middle name). That tray looks much better with the paint, it was starting to look shabby compared to the rest of the machine ;)

My current design is built around a 30mm shaft. That should be large enough to support an MT3 and have enough meat left. I have been looking at angular contact bearings (7206), mainly because I have more experience with them, but given the runout you achieved with the tapered rollers, they are a real option. Based on Marcel's comments and my new found knowledge, maybe I need to spend a little time on ebay.

Matt (with a confusing username)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back