• Welcome back Guest! Did you know you can mentor other members here at H-M? If not, please check out our Relaunch of Hobby Machinist Mentoring Program!

• In order for the Member Map to work properly, you must allow Google services AND Hobby Machinist to know your location. These settings are found in your browser of choice and in your Hobby Machinist profile.

Winner Home Grown Cutter Grinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill,if you want to sharpen small end mills,I might suggest you make a "finger" that is thin and flat,but rigid enough to stand the pressure of the grinding wheel. That round finger will be fine for large end mills,but way too fat for grinding,say,a 1/8" end mill. I'm not sure how small you can grind with the round finger,but my old Weldon has a flat finger that tapers up to a rounded tip. The base of the finger is thicker than the tip in both width and thickness. Probably a spring temper. I can do 1/16" end mills with it. The flat finger is thin enough to get into very small flutes.

Can you rock the cutter away from the wheel on the return trip? My Weldon also has that ability. It would be hard to keep the finger on the flute for the return trip if it were against the wheel.

The Cutter Grinder is at it's new station where my lathe used to be.. Now to put it to work. Thank you all for following along. As said it has been one h-e-l-l of a journey but fun.

"Billy G"
What a brilliant project. Bill you are a master of machining. It is an inspiration to us all. This was ddefinitely the best thread I ever followed
Regards, Willy

Bill , I'd like to also offer my thanks! First for sharing your knowledge but more importantly for making the time to take pics and making the time to post them with a write up and description of each step.

As a relative newcomer I wanted to let you know that I did learn some valuable lessons. Thank You!

Bill
I am a newby (at 68) and slowly learning how to do what I have long wished to, following retirement.
Your project has been an absolute inspiration for me, and in the absence of any tuition courses either locally or more distant, has taught me a great deal that could have taken years of trial and error otherwise.
The accolade of "project of the month" was richly and thoroughly deserved and I take off my hat to you for not only the wonderful engineering, but the superlative photography, which made everything clear and understandable for all, expert or novice.
Some day I sincerely hope to even begin to approach the beautiful work standards you have exhibited.
I look forward to your next project immensely.
Thank you for the time and dedication you put into this fabulous project - I am in awe!

Derek
Bonny Scotland

Ordered them today. Will be here in two weeks.

"Billy G"

Bill,

I was wondering if you had had a chance to look these plans over. The design seemed to inlcude some things not normaly available on shapers (in this size range, anyway). I probably won't be building one any time soon, as I already have 4 ranging from 7" to 16" (the're like puppies, I just can't seem to not bring them home), but some of the unique features might be adaptable to other, existing shapers.

CJ

Yes I have but I need a second set of eyes to help. Marcel and I are going to get together and look them over again. I will say that they are complete and that you are correct, there are things not normally seen. This is definitely out of range for a new person.

"Billy G"

Yes, looking at the pictures of it I expected the build to be extreemely time consuming and requiring a fairly well equiped shop.

I am going to try to get together with Marcel this week. My wife is just settling in from the home. It may not happen. As I see it this will be a 2 shop build. Marcel has the heavier mill. (Bridgeport) He also has the welding equipment on hand. I am not a welder.

"Billy G"

Hi Bill,
I have been following your machine build, and All I can say is , you are a gifted man, with unbounded ambition and talent. All that, and you are an all around great person.
I know you have been blessed this time around with some very special gifts, and you always are the first to share.
Takes a special person to do what you do and how you do it.
Thank You for inspiring me to practice and not give up.
I love the way you pace your self, once I get started, time does not seem to exist.
10 hours go by like a breeze.
You are teaching me alot, just by your actions.
That is truly a challenge in this age, to align your words, actions, and thoughts all towards goodness and truth, and making machines!
Jon

Matt, I have the print for that one. I haven't totally ruled it out yet. It is a nice design.

"Billy G"

- - - Updated - - -

The arm was slit with 3 of these gang mounted. It was done in two passes, one from each side. It is just under .125 wide.

"Billy G"

Bill, Why does the slot have to be that wide (0.125")? It would seem to me that it could be only half of that to be enough, but you are the expert - not I.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back