• Welcome back Guest! Did you know you can mentor other members here at H-M? If not, please check out our Relaunch of Hobby Machinist Mentoring Program!

• In order for the Member Map to work properly, you must allow Google services AND Hobby Machinist to know your location. These settings are found in your browser of choice and in your Hobby Machinist profile.

Winner Home Grown Cutter Grinder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill, Why does the slot have to be that wide (0.125")? It would seem to me that it could be only half of that to be enough, but you are the expert - not I.

The slot does not have to be that big Jim. It is my way of doing it to compensate for error in the boring of the hole.

"Billy G"

- - - Updated - - -

Have thoroughly enjoyed this build so far, you do very nice work. Just curious, did you machine your ER20 taper with the spindle on its own bearings?

Dr. D -- Yes I machined the WR20 Taper in the spindle.

"Billy G"

The slot does not have to be that big Jim. It is my way of doing it to compensate for error in the boring of the hole.

"Billy G"

- - - Updated - - -

Dr. D -- Yes I machined the WR20 Taper in the spindle.

"Billy G"

What I was asking was, did you cut your taper by turning the spindle on its OWN bearings?

Bill, being relatively new to the forum, relatively new to machine tool technology but relatively old as compared to a teenager, may I add to the hundreds of comments that you and your project show an unprecedented level of talent and ability. What tenacity you have shown with what is surely one daunting project to the experienced hobbiest as well as the neophyte !!! I was able to glean a great number of tips watching your thoughful and creative build. A simple "thank you" is all I really have to offer...

What I was asking was, did you cut your taper by turning the spindle on its OWN bearings?

OOOPS Sorry. No I cut the taper while in the 4 jaw cutting the spindle OD. It is not a thru hole spindle.

"Billy G"

I do not know how to navigate your site. In am a retired tool maker / mach. n8dqu@yahoo.net I have much to share,... but don't know how to get around your site.

I went shopping with the little woman and found that Sheet Cake Pan at a restaurant supply house. The wheels started turning an "Billy G" :thinking:[/QUOTE said:
Bill,
I just bought a SBL 187 Y 36" heavy tenView attachment 78308 and as you can see it is missing a chip tray
I'm quite certain the needed length will be about 30 inches and that tray in your p0ost looks about that long.
I'll check a lo9cal restaurant supply house near me and see how I make out. is your's stainless as I would assume ?

thanks for the brainstorm....it work for me

joe larsen

The Cutter Grinder is at it's new station where my lathe used to be.. Now to put it to work. Thank you all for following along. As said it has been one h-e-l-l of a journey but fun.

"Billy G"

Great build, thanks for sharing. Perhaps I missed it, but I did not see a post reporting on using it. Sorry if I missed it, please point me to it. If not, could you tell us how it is working, are you satisfied, anything you would change? I'd also love to see a video of it in action but I know doing a video is time consuming and I am sure you'd rather be in the shop building something.

88433d1381874036-old-machinery-what-s-point-dsc00452.jpg
I think it needs some racing stripes.

Remember when machinery came with pin-striping?

88433d1381874036-old-machinery-what-s-point-dsc00452.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back