Home made hand scraper

I started with an old file. It worked on the really soft cast iron of my import lathe. Then I tried scraping a piece of durabar, and found myself sharpening it every 2 or 3 strokes. Shortly after that I purchased an Anderson scraper, and also made one myself from a small piece of carbide brazed to the end of a piece of flat stock with a file handle fitted to the end. Both work great. One cost me about $100, the other cost me about $10. Gotta tell you, carbide stays sharp WAY longer than carbon steel.
I asked a question facebook abput the issue with my experimental scraper getting blunt it was of a file and two three strokes on a disc brake and went blunt.now i see why use carbide.

I'm really new to this, so please bear with me. I'm in the process of restore a late model Craftsman 12 and the bed looks pretty bad after getting it home and cleaned up a little. Anyway, started looking into scraping and saw in various places on the web that the blade should be straight with maybe the corners rounded and I've seen some with curved. I see vettebob uses a curved shape. Are there any reason why one might be used ove the other or for maybe a specific purpose. I have no machining experience but would consider myself above average in the mechanically inclined department. Does the curve give you a more aggressive bite?
Curve so it wont scratch the work and also creates alley when finished.

I asked a question facebook abput the issue with my experimental scraper getting blunt it was of a file and two three strokes on a disc brake and went blunt.now i see why use carbide.
I have been wondering if a turned or turned and ground disc brake rotor was a good thing to practice scraping. How does it compare to ways and beds for info purposes ? I'm a bit late in life to go to Richard's school but need to get some oil pockets in an old surface grinder .

If it's soft it might work, I've heard of guys turning down dumbbells. I have been told Speedy Metals sells small cast iron plates. I buy mine from Dura Bar in Woodstock IL

I have been wondering if a turned or turned and ground disc brake rotor was a good thing to practice scraping. How does it compare to ways and beds for info purposes ? I'm a bit late in life to go to Richard's school but need to get some oil pockets in an old surface grinder .
But when i scraped on a cast iron vise it was sucessful and no blunt edge.

But when i scraped on a cast iron vise it was sucessful and no blunt edge.
the vise was cooled of properly. the rotor was taken out of the mold to quickly and hardened. i had this problem with my hss blades. my brother made a attachment for our wood to make it a slow speed diamond grinder. with a 600 grit wheel on a old carbide lathe insert grinding the shape was easy and it cuts much better.

Rich I am not trying to duplicate Biax blades. I just wanted to make sure any that I make I can later use in a Biax scraper. I'm sorry if it came off like I want to duplicate them. I will just silver solder the carbide directly to the shank :allgood:Bob
Buy a Biax radius gage for sharpening blades, Mr. King should be able to get you one

You can make one. Use a draftsman compass or the one kids use in math class and draw: 1 1/2" = R 40, 2 1/2" = R 60 mm, 3 1/2" = R 90 mm
Then laminate the paper and grind the blade to those circles. If you want a BIAX call 800-243-3344 and press Biax Scrapers and order from DAPRA.com directly.

Back