Home Made Lathe Omg

This is the device I meant uses the same two long parallel bars. You slide the handle along and it "skives" a 90 deg slot in the surface of a piece of leather which is then filled with glue and a corner formed. used for making cases. Unfortunately he seems to have neglected it a little!
Phil

IMGP1390.JPG

I went to his YouTube channel this morning it looks like he's in Ukraine. I'm sure he's lacking access to proper tools and education and making do as best he can. I've got to hand it to him for being this creative though. Just imagine what he could do if he access to real equipment and a solid training course on how to run them!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

. Just imagine what he could do if he access to real equipment and a solid training course on how to run them!

Well I know where you are coming from, but how many people do you know, who, having had access to real equipment and training, would go on to make their own equipment without the use or availability of a lathe! I think sometimes the burning desire to do something overcomes all obstacles and achieves that end, whereas the training would tend to convince the trainee that it couldn't be done accurately enough to be usefull, which is obviously wrong!

Phil

Thanks for sharing .

What we have in this video is almost a demonstration of the old adage that the lathe is the only tool that can be used to reproduce all its own parts. Thanks again, tomh, for posting it!

Having been to several 3rd world countries its actually impressive at what people with nothing can make. Deffinately not the safest way to do things however! Unfortunately what I have seen (also in 3rd world countries) is the way people can come up with way to kill each other. :chagrin:
I see similar things with older, depression-era made tools. Much of my lathe tooling was made by my grandfather who grew up in that era. I also have a power-hacksaw from that era and while it can (and eventually I hope to) be improved, it works and thats the main thing. At the begining of most of my 'how to run a lathe' books there's a comment that's basically along the lines of - "work holding and/or tooling has more to do with the skill and imagination of the operator..."

I went to his YouTube channel this morning it looks like he's in Ukraine. I'm sure he's lacking access to proper tools and education and making do as best he can. I've got to hand it to him for being this creative though. Just imagine what he could do if he access to real equipment and a solid training course on how to run them!

He might lack access to sophisticated tools, but i suspect he has had some formal training, possibly in the military, He obviously knows how to go about what he needs to do, and is familiar with how machines work.. Nonetheless a most amazing achievement with much made from little.

I take my hat off to him, a true achiever.

Back