Home made sort of rotary table

mickri

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
My mill vise came with a swivel base. I also had a partially made backing plate with 1 1/2 x 8tpi that my chucks screw onto. I have combined the two to make a crude rotary table for lack of a better description.

IMG_3574.JPG

And with a chuck screwed on.

IMG_3575.JPG

I have not used it yet. My concern is do I need to somehow keep it from possibly unscrewing in use. It should be just like my lathe where the rotation of the end mills will push the chuck to screw on and not off. I have chucks that range in size from 3" to 8." When my chucks are screwed on there are maybe two threads showing on the chuck. Can't seem to get a good picture of these threads. The only thing that I can think of that would work with all of my chuck and might lock the chuck in place is to make a 1 1/2 x 8 tpi disc that would screw down against the spindle on the rotary table.

Don't know if I have explained this clearly. Any suggestions?

Either relieve the threads or make a ring to fit the gap (if I understand the problem)

I don't know if I have a problem. I just think that it would be best if I could somehow lock the chuck in place.

Perhaps yes ---- but the chuck should definitely shoulder up on the threaded part.

Reactions: GL
The chuck definitely shoulders up on the threaded part. I'll try to get some better photos.

I agree with benmychree, chucks on a spindle index on the unthreaded part of the spindle for radial location and square to the shoulder. A spacer will at least get it to square with the base and not wiggle in the threads. Rotation control is going to be a bit of an estimation, but you knew that going in.

There is no wiggle when the chuck is threaded onto the spindle. It is tight. Very similar to when I screw a chuck onto the spindle of my lathe. I can't remove the chuck by hand. I use a chuck key to break the chuck loose. Maybe I ought to try milling something to see what happens.

It should be OK if you tighten the chuck on the spindle firmly

Thanks. I will give it a trial run.

Back