home shop layout

jwmelvin

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi all. This is a great forum, which I found recently as I have started to think more about getting a machine tool or two. In college and grad school, I spent a lot of time in the machine shop, mostly with manual machines but a bit of CNC. That was fifteen years ago.

I know there are plenty of threads on this but I'd really appreciate people's thoughts on how to organize my space. I made a model of it in SketchUp to try a few things and make it easier for you to see what I'm working with (I believe most things are to scale but there may be a few errors).

garage_end_open.png

garage_back_open.png

The garage is large, about 100' x 55', but serves many purposes. It only has 9' ceilings. There are ~2 exposed walls, the other two are underground; on the exposed walls there are a number of 20x30" windows high up; on the long exposed wall are three garage doors, and there are two outside people doors plus one to the house. One corner, including a garage door, has a sectioned-off room (2x6 walls) that is 20'x34'. The corner of the room that is empty in the model is full of household storage.

I do a mix of work; a good bit of automotive, some wood, and now trying to include more metal. As you can see in the model, I have a lift in one corner. At this point I could rearrange nearly everything, though the lift needs to stay where it is. Because of that constraint, I'm inclined to continue developing that area for automotive work. I put the press over there because I typically use it for automotive projects, though it's possible I will use it as a press brake in general fabrication.

The shop space that is contiguous with the main garage space has been set up as my woodworking area. It has two 8'x4' tables, one of which has a table saw set into it. Other than that I have a miter saw and a scroll saw, and some portable power tools. (Right now the drill press and belt sander are in there too but I plan to move them.) I may acquire additional tools as projects require.

I recently started welding, and have plans to continue my general fab capabilities. I'm just a hobbyist, working in evenings and weekends. Many of my projects are automotive related, but I have some other projects around the property/house. The enclosed space is what I'm figuring will be a metal shop. I currently only have a drill press, belt sander, and MIG and TIG welders. I plan to get a 4x6 bandsaw in the near future and a relatively small (~10x30) lathe after not too long. I put the bandsaw in the model adjacent to where I plan metal-storage racks.

I understand that abrasive operations are undesirable around precision instruments. In the model, I have placed the belt sander and bench grinder in the metal shop, as I think they will likely be used frequently. I could section off a corner with curtains if abrasive dust is a serious concern. I could also move them to the automotive corner, but that means a lot more walking back and forth. I think that's okay for the press since it won't be used as frequently. My bigger concern is grinding as associated with welding. That generates a lot of mess and I'd prefer not to have it in the machine room. So, I could plan to move my welding operations over to the wall where the press is, in the automotive corner, which would keep grinding dust away from machine tools. I already have outlets for the welders over there.

As drawn, there's still room to park a car in the metal shop. That would be more convenient than using the third garage door for two cars. But there is room to have the cars in the main space, especially if an active project requires the space in the metal shop.

That was a little longwinded but hopefully you get a sense for what I'm working with and will let me know your thoughts.

-jason

Let me be the first to welcome you to HM Jason. We greatly appreciate you sharing your shop plans with us.

I think you have a great start. My only advice is to put things where they will work out the best for you now. I have found that nothing is permanent and what works for you now may not be so convenient for you in a few years. I have gone through this evolution myself, moving things, adding things, upgrading things. Consider your layout a work in progress.

Thanks. It's a good point. One thing I need to do is put additional electrical service and improved lighting in, and that may change with the layout. But I suppose I should try to keep an free attitude to such changes.

For some reason, the pictures came out pretty small in my original post. let me try remote versions:
garage_end_open.pnggarage_back_open.png

edit: hm, I don't seem to be able to reference external images; they always are copied to a local version?

Yup, lights, electrical, air, and cabinet and bench placement have all changed over the years. Along with the machines and equipment. I have approximately the same size building, 50 x 104 x 12. My building is split at 40 feet with a solid wall and the rest of the 64 feet includes storage and paint booth. Being divided, the building has two furnaces for heat. The shop has a 12 x 12 office and a 6 x 12 bath room.

My small shop has had many arrangements over the last 28 years. I'm currently moving every 'stationary' machine again! Yes it is a pain, but you put everything down, and then learn what works (and doesn't) for you. My needs have also changed a lot over the years and I do almost no woodworking these days and when I first moved to this location WW was about 80% of my shop time.

Are there operations that I should definitely keep together or keep away from each other? Should I worry about putting the belt sander and bench grinder in the same room as the lathe? If I cover the lathe appropriately, could I go ahead and use abrasive wheels with angle grinders in the room?

All sanders and grinders should be toghether, far away from your precious mills & lathes....

Grinders and sanders put out a lot of dust containing metal and minute abrasive particles. Personally, I do not grind anywhere near my machine tools. You have enough space to erect a separate grinding room inside your metalworking area or move grinding operations into the main garage area somewhere.

Thank you both.

What about woodworking equipment, for example putting a lathe in the room where the table saw and miter saw are, keeping the dirty operations and welding in the sectioned-off room? In any case I will keep the lathe covered unless it's being used.

I've considered locating grinding and welding in the main garage, but it starts to feel pretty awkward to separate frequently used items. And it leaves me with nearly nothing in the enclosed space...

I guess what I'm struggling with is that I do understand it's best to have precision tools isolated but I don't yet have a lathe or mill. While I can accept that the layout will change, I'd like to plan as much as possible.

Thank you both.

What about woodworking equipment, for example putting a lathe in the room where the table saw and miter saw are, keeping the dirty operations and welding in the sectioned-off room? In any case I will keep the lathe covered unless it's being used.

I've considered locating grinding and welding in the main garage, but it starts to feel pretty awkward to separate frequently used items. And it leaves me with nearly nothing in the enclosed space...

I guess what I'm struggling with is that I do understand it's best to have precision tools isolated but I don't yet have a lathe or mill. While I can accept that the layout will change, I'd like to plan as much as possible.

As long as the machine tools are covered up, I see no reason you can't do wood working in the same area. Dust is an issue but I assume you are going to use dust collection equipment and keep the area neat. Lots of guys make do with what they have.

To be honest, the space you (and Randy and Paco and AlanH and others) have is palatial and if I had the luxury of space you have, I would cordon off an area for my lathe and mill and tooling to keep it free of dust. Then I could do whatever outside of that room without worrying about my machine tools. If you do create a separate space for machine tools, make it bigger than you think you'll need because I guarantee you that your lathe and mill will grow in size if you enjoy this hobby. Not only that, you may enjoy it enough to include a shaper, surface grinder or other machine tools that you cannot envision owning right now. Hobby machining is a serious disease so consider yourself warned!

Welcome to HM, J!

Back