Homemade Air Compressor

Not the same. Ref compressors do not have a separate "sump" for the oil. There is no "crankcase" The con rod and the motor itself, splashes oil to lube everything, piston, cylinder, reed valves, motor bearings in the same space that the piston draws air from on "intake". Some of the oil normally gets drawn in and takes a trip thru the system and winds up back in the dome. If used as an air compressor with a tank, that oil, and probably most of the oil will eventually wind up in the bottom of the air tank.

Yes I get that, My point is there is no risk of the the oil/air detonating under the pressures used in a typical shop air system (less than 200psi). All the oil in a piston compressor winds up in the tank as well,believe me I know, I was a licensed air compressor operator for over 20 years.

I have seen it where an extra oil catch chamber was installed between the tank and the pump. Occasionally the oil drained and put back in the intake.

Hobby airbrush guys have used this setup for quite awhile. Many see a lifetime of use without worrying about the oil. Others just get a new compressor if it fails.

I have finally collected all the parts for mine. One of these days I'll even build it. Nice build I hope it suits your needs for a long time.

That compressor is a rotary scroll compressor, it doesn't have pistons. most of the scrolls will need a check valve because they will bleed backwards through the scroll. The do not put anywhere near as much oil into the air stream as a normal refrigeration compressor does. That compressor is about a 1.5 or possibly a 2 HP compressor. It should work pretty good for you. It will get hot so don't run it for extended periods.

Art b

Back