Homemade backhoe

Titou16

Registered
Registered
Hello,

Let me present to you my homemade backhoe. I made it last years (2012) from june to august. I made it from an hydraulic kit and I designed the mechanical parts. The parts was laser cutted in a plant not far from my home. Then I assembled and welded it. Here is the first try. At this point, I only replace the cylinders with larger. I keep pipe, pump and distributors.

[video=youtube;JzjSFM7aW40]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzjSFM7aW40&feature=share&list=UUbRpiLu8ju jmNDsPg1eqOlw[/video]

Three month later, this was the second version of my backhoe. simple braided Flexibles "made in china" from the kit was replaced by double braided flexibles and I used rigid pipes for places where there's no need of flexibles. I replaced the pump by a double pump. Each pump feeds a distributor. The backoe was much more efficient like that.

[video=youtube;wJ04CkH3tvI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ04CkH3tvI&feature=share&list=UUbRpiLu8ju jmNDsPg1eqOlw[/video]

This summer I have made another bucket which is bigger and will stay the biggest for this backhoe. One meter wide and 150 liters. Whit this new godet, I designed and made an automatic coupling because I have 2 other bucket to make. With this coupling, the well may be coupled in both directions

[video=youtube;vNi59u33ztY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNi59u33ztY&feature=share&list=UUbRpiLu8ju jmNDsPg1eqOlw[/video]

I hope you are interested in this topic.

Bye

Titou16 (from France)

PS : Excuse me for English mistakes. I do not yet speak the language very well. Don't hesitate to say me when what I write is not comprehensible.

Very nice! Don't you just love it when a project comes together.

David

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Well done!

That looks really cool!

Can you provide a web link to the source of your hydraulic kit?

Walt

That looks really cool!

Can you provide a web link to the source of your hydraulic kit?

Walt

Keep in mind that he replaced many of the components that came with the kit.

OP, nice little machine!

I think that is pretty darn slick. How does it get moved from one location to the next and how much break out force does it have? Did you do all of the welding yourself or did you have it done by someone for you? The welds all appear to be excellent and the entire machine is well assembled and a very nice piece of work. The hard piping and multiple dual stage pumps is also a great improvement for speed and the ability to operate multiple functions at the same time. Makes operating the machine more fluid and life like and reduces excess loading on strain points too.

Bob

Yes, from the kit, I kept only distributors. Pump, cylinders and flexibles were replaced. The cylinders was too small (but i will use them for another project). Pump too small for the new cylinders (2x bigger) which will be used for another project too. And the flexibles "made in china" was ****.

The story from the beginning. It was a long time I wanted to make a backhoe. But the price of hydraulics components always arrested me. One day, I saw an publicity for a kit of backhoe. The price, only 1500€ (about 2000$). Very interesting. So I order it. One month to wait. But during this waiting,in a french forum, I read a post of a guy who bought this kit too and who said that this backhoe lift at only 1m60. The publicity said that lift at 1m90. There was an error on the publicity. My trailer is 1m65 tall. So this machine could not load my trailer. I phoned to the seller. We fall agree for I buy only hydraulics components, the parts to make the chassis and seat and the price was reduced at 1100€. But keep the same chassis that the kit was a mistake. I reinforced it, but it is too small and light and it tilts. I think I will make my own self designed chassis in the future, to improve stability and capabilities of the machine.

When I designed and calculed the arms of my backhoe, I realized that the kit allows to make a very weak backhoe. So I decided to change cylinders and increase the pressure of the circuit (120 bars became 160 bars and even 185 bars for a test).

I think that is pretty darn slick. How does it get moved from one location to the next and how much break out force does it have? Did you do all of the welding yourself or did you have it done by someone for you? The welds all appear to be excellent and the entire machine is well assembled and a very nice piece of work. The hard piping and multiple dual stage pumps is also a great improvement for speed and the ability to operate multiple functions at the same time. Makes operating the machine more fluid and life like and reduces excess loading on strain points too.

Bob

Thank's

I weld myself.

"How does it get moved from on location to the next"
Bob

. I'm not sure to understand this question. It is coupled behind a farm tractor like you can see in the videos.

Here some pictures of making and calculs :

I let you. In France, it is time to go to bed.

Bye

Titou16

Last edited by a moderator:
I have nothing to add. I just wanted to say that this is awesome!

Back