Homemade broaching?

Bluedog

Registered
Registered
Anyone here that has made broaches? I need to make a steel part that needs an odd shaped through hole that is about 2 1/2 inches deep. I have looked at many online videos, and I think I can make the broach without too much hassle. My question is about the depth of the hole. All of the search results I have looked at were broaching a hole in flat plate material that looked to be about 1/4" thick. Any down side to a much thicker material (2 1/2") other than lots more tool pressure since more teeth will be cutting at once. Any thing that needs to be different about the broach? I think EDM would be the best here, but thought I might give it a shot.
Thanks

I've done what I would call rudimentary broaching a time or two. Usually I will use drills and get as much unneeded material out
before I try to get the final shape. At times I have resorted to filing and bluing for a good fit. One can use the tail stock or the quill to hold
the cutter and hold the part in the lathe chuck at times. It all depends on the shape of what one is working with. One is only limited by
his imagination. If working with deep material I would guess that using some shim material would be useful. A hydraulic press
would be useful too possibly. If you go at it with a positive attitude, you will likely find the way. I wish you good luck in your efforts. :encourage:

Bluedog, are you considering rotary broaching or linear broaching? Either way, a drawing of the part would be useful to give advice/suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may push broach through a a very long bore if time is not a consideration and you can produce the required bushing in house.
You may have to push it through dozens of times to reach depth.
It is however doable at home.

Sent from my HAL 9000 through the pod bay doors™

Off topic ... but I really like your sig line!

Off topic ... but I really like your sig line!
I appreciate the fact that you saw the humor, many people do not find this sort of thing humorous.
One of the most humorous videos ever made in the training film world. This guy is a pro.
This never gets old
Second best parody, dhmo, if the turbo encabulator guy did a spot for this it would likely scare people beyond reason.
http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

Last edited:
Back