• Welcome back Guest! Did you know you can mentor other members here at H-M? If not, please check out our Relaunch of Hobby Machinist Mentoring Program!

• In order for the Member Map to work properly, you must allow Google services AND Hobby Machinist to know your location. These settings are found in your browser of choice and in your Hobby Machinist profile.

Winner Homemade Lathe Build Log

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unbelievable effort keep it up, we keep watching, how about a little pic of that 1900 henry lathe !!
Great work Golfpin RSA

Unbelievable effort keep it up, we keep watching, how about a little pic of that 1900 henry lathe !!
Great work Golfpin RSA

Thank you! I got a bit of a cold this week so it's adding to the procrastination! I really just have to make a new wooden collet closer knob and make the pulleys. You guys are gonna love how I make the pulleys, if they turn out as good as I imagine them being they should be beautiful. Hickory, with recessed curved spokes with a nice dark stain rubbed away then boiled linseed oil to give it a little shine. I'll try to get a slightly dirty/worn look in there too.

Just woodwork and collets left. Maybe add a clamp to the bottom of the base so I can clamp it to a bench or table? Although it looks great on the mantel above the fire place I do plan to use it to some extent.

At the GM plant where I worked for 30 years, the Machinist was the Mechanic. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

"Billy G"
At least it wasn't the opposite :biggrin:

Today's update!

Sorry it's been so long between updates, been working on a few other projects recently. There is a rumor around the shop a surface grinder might come in. Still in question.

To support the hand crank pulley, I had to make a bearing mounted shaft in the base of the lathe.

The bearings I used are KK0810 drawn cup needle bearings. They have no inner race, the inner race is actually the shaft they ride on. The shaft has larger bearing journals than specified in bearing specs, the bearing fits on a .314" shaft from specs, I made the shaft .3165" (Love my new tenths mike!) in diameter to reduce play.

This is not the exact shaft I used, I made one slightly different (bearing journals closer together and shaft extends further out to hold the pulley.) I had a different mounting scheme planned that would only need a 1/4" of shaft sickout, but I turned it down in favor for the new design.

This gives you an idea of what the shaft looks like, although it's not the one in the base. Bearings have a 8mm ID for size reference.

photo 2 (35).JPG

Bearing's on the journals.
photo 1 (34).JPG

I made the pulley out of Oak rather than Hickory. What I had on hand, so I used it. Laminated three thin sheets to make a plywood to keep it from warping over time. I have recessed the sides of the pulley, and will cut out most of it to create a curved spoked handwheel.

photo 4 (22).JPG

Here it is installed on the bearing'd shaft on the base. Rotates nice and free once the bearings have burnished the shaft's journals

photo 3 (28).JPG

It's coming together, still have some work to do on the pulley. Will also make a small 3 drawer "toolbox" out of the same oak that the lathe will sit on to give clearance for the handwheel.

Thanks for looking!

photo 2 (35).JPG photo 1 (34).JPG photo 4 (22).JPG photo 3 (28).JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back