Winner Homemade Lathe Build Log

Status
Not open for further replies.

markknx

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Pretty cool video of turning in the mill. The lathe islooking good. Can't wait to see the vids of itrunning.Mark

A

Andre

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Pretty cool video of turning in the mill. The lathe islooking good. Can't wait to see the vids of itrunning.Mark
Well, you won't *see* it turning. The chips will be so small it will be considered dust!

A

Andre

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Milled a slot in the bottom of the bed, and added an alignment pin in the bottom of the tailstock to keep it aligned with the spindle.

photo 2 (9).JPG

And flycut the bottom of the tailstock for looks.

photo 3 (9).JPG

Still thinking if I want to use a lever or not. Probably will.

photo 2 (9).JPG photo 3 (9).JPG

A

Andre

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Been on a break from this project, got two lathes and they have been keeping me busy. But I'm back on the bandwagon and worked on a stand for it today.

Here it is, the hardwood base is made from hickory that we cut down from the woods here and had milled by a friend.

photo (46).JPG

And here is is compared to a 3 drawer 620 Kennedy chest. It's a small model.

photo (51).JPG

I plan to add a hand cranked pulley on the bottom, something different and will eliminate the hassle of an electric motor. Will also be quieter, and speed indefinitely variable speed via HVSD (human variable speed drive)

I don't plan to use this lathe much if at all, so a hand crank really isn't a problem convince wise.

You can also see my toolmakers square in the bottom left there, still have to get it ground.

photo (46).JPG photo (51).JPG

N

Nelson

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
absolutely beautiful job! Thanks Andre!

A

Andre

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
WOO project of the month!!!!!
Yesterday I chamfered all the edges on the tailstock and headstock, made a tailstock ram knob, and will stain the base and cleanup the base pedestal (aluminum thing that holds up the lathe).

Don B

Active User
Registered
WOO project of the month!!!!!
Yesterday I chamfered all the edges on the tailstock and headstock, made a tailstock ram knob, and will stain the base and cleanup the base pedestal (aluminum thing that holds up the lathe).
Congratulations Andre on project of the month, it's well deserved...:))

A

Andre

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Added a plunger lock to the stand, this allows the lathe not only to be locked in place but also to enables it to tilt to get to the screw that locks the headstock to the bed. So I can adjust it for alignment with the tailstock or to remove it to adjust the headstock bearings.

photo 1 (19).JPG

This is how it tilts.

photo 2 (19).JPG

I also reshaped the graver T rest to a more elegant profile. (I gun blued it but don't have a picture or that yet.)

photo 3 (16).JPG

Flycutting the arm that holds the lathe up.

photo 5 (11).JPG
Shiny...
Notice how I have a 3/8" shanked endmill being clamped in the plunger lock. That's so the lock is in the right position and gets flycut to the same height as the pedestal.
photo 4 (12).JPG

Adding a 30 thousandths chamfer with a 90 degree single flute countersink. Gives a nice, consistent finish. I prefer it over a corner rounding endmill.

photo 1 (20).JPG

Turning a knob on my wood lathe for the end of the tailstock ram. I forgot the name of this wood, but it's very red and has beautiful grain and turns great.
I don't condone turning with your non-dominant hand a piece spinning 2000+ RPM while taking a picture with an ipod. Not OSHA approved!

photo 2 (20).JPG

Also, after this got POTM I showed this thread to my mom. She says for me to tell everybody I 14. Umm, hi :whistle:

- - - Updated - - -

Congratulations Andre on project of the month, it's well deserved...:))
Thank you, Don!

photo 1 (19).JPG photo 2 (19).JPG photo 3 (16).JPG photo 4 (12).JPG photo 5 (11).JPG photo 1 (20).JPG photo 2 (20).JPG

Pat of TN

Active User
Registered
What better of a project to be celebrated on a machining forum than the project of making a machine tool? You earned it, Andre. The effort and pride you put in your work really shines through - quite literally, in a way.

A

Andre

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
What better of a project to be celebrated on a machining forum than the project of making a machine tool? You earned it, Andre. The effort and pride you put in your work really shines through - quite literally, in a way.
Thank you :))

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Congratulations on a job well done. You earned the POM.

"Billy G"

markknx

Active User
Andre, Congrats on POTM, you did a great job on that little mill. cool concept and good enginering. and a fine job of machine work. Thanks for sharring!

A

Andre

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Andre, Congrats on POTM, you did a great job on that little mill. cool concept and good enginering. and a fine job of machine work. Thanks for sharring!
Thank you :))

A

Andre

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
IMG_1805.JPG

Nelson, here is the picture for the header. Thanks!

IMG_1805.JPG

mattthemuppet2

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
wow, you did a truly beautiful job and I couldn't think of a better winner of POTM.

Seriously though, you're not 14 are you?

A

Andre

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
wow, you did a truly beautiful job and I couldn't think of a better winner of POTM.

Seriously though, you're not 14 are you?
Thank you very much!
Yes I am 14, well almost 15 now.

mattthemuppet2

holy cow, that's uplifting and depressing at the same time :) Just to think of all those years I spent obsessing about girls when I could have been learning how to machine!

so what's next? With chops like that only your imagination can limit you.

A

Andre

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
holy cow, that's uplifting and depressing at the same time :) Just to think of all those years I spent obsessing about girls when I could have been learning how to machine!

so what's next? With chops like that only your imagination can limit you.

haha Thank you!

I have too many projects to list, but here are a few of them.

SAFE act compliant Ruger 10/22 stock that will be similar to a Crosman Challenger stock. (will start this right after the lathe is "finished")

Surface grinding head for the Bridgeport

Letter/number stamping jig for consistent spacing

Small indexer for cutting hex and square features on small parts.

Rebuilding my Bridgeport M head

Steady rest for my Craftsman 109 (to do air pistol barrel crowning)

etc....

mattthemuppet2

yup, that'll keep you busy! Looking forward to the next project :)

A

Andre

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
yup, that'll keep you busy! Looking forward to the next project :)
Thanks, the 10/22 stock build should be starting in a month or so. Not sure how I want to go about that yet. Might put it off a little if I'm not sure.

A

Andre

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Nelson, can you please update the header? I don't want to be pushy but it is the project of the month.

Bishop

Active User
Registered
How in the world did I miss this thread?? Awesome work Andre, 14 and able to do work like that, you have a bright future ahead of you thats for sure.

Cheers
Shawn

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Well documented and a job well done. You missed your calling. You would make a fine Machinist. Congratulations on winning the POTM. You earned it.

"Billy G"

A

Andre

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
How in the world did I miss this thread?? Awesome work Andre, 14 and able to do work like that, you have a bright future ahead of you thats for sure.

Cheers
Shawn
Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Well documented and a job well done. You missed your calling. You would make a fine Machinist. Congratulations on winning the POTM. You earned it.

"Billy G"
I missed my calling? I plan to go to a 2 year community college to get a bachelor degree then to a machining trade school. That is if competitive shooting doesn't get in the way.

A

Andre

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Okay, did a little more this week. I made some taper shank drill bits for the tailstock and because the tailstock is a wide and short taper (think miniature 40 taper) I need a taper lock collar to hold the bits in the tailstock.

I did all the threading mostly by hand (turning the chuck by hand) because I was getting a bad finish. Plus I don't have to release the half-nut so it went faster and I had a lot more control.

After cutting threads.
photo 5 (12).JPG

And the cap/collar threads on
photo 4 (13).JPG
Here is how it fits together. The collar goes over the drill and pushes the taper into the tailstock ram.
photo 1 (25).JPG

Here is how it looks assembled. Runs true when rotating the tailstock ram. I can flex the drill just a hair sideways though because the taper isn't the best from boring bar deflection. I may cylindrical grind the taper. Probably won't though.

photo 2 (26).JPG

And a diagram of taper dimensions.

photo 3 (19).JPG

Think I should do weekly updates instead of whenever I get around to them?

photo 1 (25).JPG photo 2 (26).JPG photo 3 (19).JPG photo 5 (12).JPG photo 4 (13).JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.