• Welcome back Guest! Did you know you can mentor other members here at H-M? If not, please check out our Relaunch of Hobby Machinist Mentoring Program!

• In order for the Member Map to work properly, you must allow Google services AND Hobby Machinist to know your location. These settings are found in your browser of choice and in your Hobby Machinist profile.

Winner Homemade Lathe Build Log

Status
Not open for further replies.
Added a plunger lock to the stand, this allows the lathe not only to be locked in place but also to enables it to tilt to get to the screw that locks the headstock to the bed. So I can adjust it for alignment with the tailstock or to remove it to adjust the headstock bearings.

photo 1 (19).JPG

This is how it tilts.

photo 2 (19).JPG

I also reshaped the graver T rest to a more elegant profile. (I gun blued it but don't have a picture or that yet.)

photo 3 (16).JPG

Flycutting the arm that holds the lathe up.

photo 5 (11).JPG
Shiny...
Notice how I have a 3/8" shanked endmill being clamped in the plunger lock. That's so the lock is in the right position and gets flycut to the same height as the pedestal.
photo 4 (12).JPG

Adding a 30 thousandths chamfer with a 90 degree single flute countersink. Gives a nice, consistent finish. I prefer it over a corner rounding endmill.

photo 1 (20).JPG

Turning a knob on my wood lathe for the end of the tailstock ram. I forgot the name of this wood, but it's very red and has beautiful grain and turns great.
I don't condone turning with your non-dominant hand a piece spinning 2000+ RPM while taking a picture with an ipod. Not OSHA approved!

photo 2 (20).JPG

Also, after this got POTM I showed this thread to my mom. She says for me to tell everybody I 14. Umm, hi :whistle:

- - - Updated - - -

Congratulations Andre on project of the month, it's well deserved...:))

Thank you, Don!

photo 1 (19).JPG photo 2 (19).JPG photo 3 (16).JPG photo 4 (12).JPG photo 5 (11).JPG photo 1 (20).JPG photo 2 (20).JPG

What better of a project to be celebrated on a machining forum than the project of making a machine tool? You earned it, Andre. The effort and pride you put in your work really shines through - quite literally, in a way.

What better of a project to be celebrated on a machining forum than the project of making a machine tool? You earned it, Andre. The effort and pride you put in your work really shines through - quite literally, in a way.

Thank you :))

Congratulations on a job well done. You earned the POM.

"Billy G"

Andre, Congrats on POTM, you did a great job on that little mill. cool concept and good enginering. and a fine job of machine work. Thanks for sharring!

Andre, Congrats on POTM, you did a great job on that little mill. cool concept and good enginering. and a fine job of machine work. Thanks for sharring!

Thank you :))

IMG_1805.JPG

Nelson, here is the picture for the header. Thanks!

IMG_1805.JPG

wow, you did a truly beautiful job and I couldn't think of a better winner of POTM.

Seriously though, you're not 14 are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back