• Welcome back Guest! Did you know you can mentor other members here at H-M? If not, please check out our Relaunch of Hobby Machinist Mentoring Program!

• In order for the Member Map to work properly, you must allow Google services AND Hobby Machinist to know your location. These settings are found in your browser of choice and in your Hobby Machinist profile.

Winner Homemade Lathe Build Log

Status
Not open for further replies.
holy cow, that's uplifting and depressing at the same time :) Just to think of all those years I spent obsessing about girls when I could have been learning how to machine!

so what's next? With chops like that only your imagination can limit you.

holy cow, that's uplifting and depressing at the same time :) Just to think of all those years I spent obsessing about girls when I could have been learning how to machine!

so what's next? With chops like that only your imagination can limit you.

haha Thank you!

I have too many projects to list, but here are a few of them.

SAFE act compliant Ruger 10/22 stock that will be similar to a Crosman Challenger stock. (will start this right after the lathe is "finished")

Surface grinding head for the Bridgeport

Letter/number stamping jig for consistent spacing

Small indexer for cutting hex and square features on small parts.

Rebuilding my Bridgeport M head

Steady rest for my Craftsman 109 (to do air pistol barrel crowning)

etc....

yup, that'll keep you busy! Looking forward to the next project :)

yup, that'll keep you busy! Looking forward to the next project :)

Thanks, the 10/22 stock build should be starting in a month or so. Not sure how I want to go about that yet. Might put it off a little if I'm not sure.

Nelson, can you please update the header? I don't want to be pushy but it is the project of the month.

How in the world did I miss this thread?? Awesome work Andre, 14 and able to do work like that, you have a bright future ahead of you thats for sure.

Cheers
Shawn

Well documented and a job well done. You missed your calling. You would make a fine Machinist. Congratulations on winning the POTM. You earned it.

"Billy G"

How in the world did I miss this thread?? Awesome work Andre, 14 and able to do work like that, you have a bright future ahead of you thats for sure.

Cheers
Shawn

Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Well documented and a job well done. You missed your calling. You would make a fine Machinist. Congratulations on winning the POTM. You earned it.

"Billy G"

I missed my calling? I plan to go to a 2 year community college to get a bachelor degree then to a machining trade school. That is if competitive shooting doesn't get in the way.

Okay, did a little more this week. I made some taper shank drill bits for the tailstock and because the tailstock is a wide and short taper (think miniature 40 taper) I need a taper lock collar to hold the bits in the tailstock.

I did all the threading mostly by hand (turning the chuck by hand) because I was getting a bad finish. Plus I don't have to release the half-nut so it went faster and I had a lot more control.

After cutting threads.
photo 5 (12).JPG

And the cap/collar threads on
photo 4 (13).JPG
Here is how it fits together. The collar goes over the drill and pushes the taper into the tailstock ram.
photo 1 (25).JPG

Here is how it looks assembled. Runs true when rotating the tailstock ram. I can flex the drill just a hair sideways though because the taper isn't the best from boring bar deflection. I may cylindrical grind the taper. Probably won't though.

photo 2 (26).JPG

And a diagram of taper dimensions.

photo 3 (19).JPG

Think I should do weekly updates instead of whenever I get around to them?

photo 1 (25).JPG photo 2 (26).JPG photo 3 (19).JPG photo 5 (12).JPG photo 4 (13).JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back