• Welcome back Guest! Did you know you can mentor other members here at H-M? If not, please check out our Relaunch of Hobby Machinist Mentoring Program!

• In order for the Member Map to work properly, you must allow Google services AND Hobby Machinist to know your location. These settings are found in your browser of choice and in your Hobby Machinist profile.

Winner Homemade Lathe Build Log

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing job!
Very nice!

Engineers can draw anything but it takes craftsman to build it.

Keep up the good work.

Ray

Amazing job!
Very nice!

Engineers can draw anything but it takes craftsman to build it.

Keep up the good work.

Ray

Draftsmen draw. Engineers design.

Sometimes they are one and the same, of course. But then sometimes engineer, draftsman, and craftsman are all one person.

Made a new thrust bushing. The old one was factory made from something. The yellow rust-free coating was really bugging me. Simple part and fun to make.
I will shorten the front bearing to bring the bushing a little closer to the headstock so it will look a little better.

New on left, old on right.

photo (64).JPG

photo (64).JPG

Did a lot of work today on collets and workholding. Bored the spindle taper to a very clean taper, used a fatter boring bar than when boring the tailstock spindle so there was less flex and a nicer finish. It was "perfect" off the machine. As good of a surface finish as I could've asked for. But as soon as you touch it it turns grey!!!! Ahhh!!!
Made a nice collet to test, worked great. Have to make 4 more for a small set. Also need a drawbar.

Boring the spindle taper. Make sure your boring bar is on center with neutral rake angle or you will get a "false" taper.

photo 1 (26).JPG

Spindle taper closeup....a blurry closeup. Sorry for the multitude of bad pictures in this thread, I will try to use a better camera soon.

photo 2 (27).JPG

Made a collet, .182" collet bore and 4-40 threads in the back. If your wondering why a .182" bore, it's the perfect size for those political "vote for me" signs. Dad ran for town supervisor for awhile but never got elected so we have a hundred or so here plus other peoples. Great mild steel stock, and perfect size work for this lathe.

photo 3 (20).JPG

And here it is in the lathe. Tapers match real nice, and the collet has perfect leaf tension. Enough to be squished by hand but not too stiff or it will not grab the part. Worked out nicely.

photo 4 (17).JPG

Making a drawbar using some of that political sign material. Since my 109 won't thread 4-40 because I don't have the right change gears, and they are $11 a gear from HSS, I drilled and tapped 4-40 and used an inserted screw to make the male threads. I've done this on several parts before and it's worked great.

photo 5 (16).JPG

Here is a closeup of the drawbar threads, I know they look bent but that's just refraction from the eye loupe I was using as a camera lense.

photo (65).JPG

Thanks for looking!

photo 1 (26).JPG photo 2 (27).JPG photo 3 (20).JPG photo 4 (17).JPG photo 5 (16).JPG photo (65).JPG

Looks great Andre, keep up the excellent work..........:))

Looks great Andre, keep up the excellent work..........:))

Thanks Don! How has he house painting been going? Hope something comes along and helps you feel better.

Andre

Holy guacamole! I just found this thread. Way to go! As a near-daily user of a watchmaker's lathe, I'm following this thread with a lot of interest. Will you be making your own hardened & lapped headstock spindle too? In any case, keep us posted!
Thanks!
...Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back