• Welcome back Guest! Did you know you can mentor other members here at H-M? If not, please check out our Relaunch of Hobby Machinist Mentoring Program!

• In order for the Member Map to work properly, you must allow Google services AND Hobby Machinist to know your location. These settings are found in your browser of choice and in your Hobby Machinist profile.

Winner Homemade Lathe Build Log

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's right. We take classes in it. Mere tradesmen can't properly bungle a job: they can't handle the math.

When it is really important to get things wrong, though, bring in a consultant with a PhD.

And when you want make absolutely sure it will never be built correctly or work correctly and overrun the budget, you bring in three academic engineering professors from the three top Universities ....

And when you want make absolutely sure it will never be built correctly or work correctly and overrun the budget, you bring in three academic engineering professors from the three top Universities ....

Nothing beats the skill of a bean counter in running a corporation that relies on creative engineering solutions.
Even the best of the automotive designers can't compare
with their ability to obfuscate the ultimate results.

Those 0.110-50 screws and tap are likely a 6BA, which is 0.110 diameter, and 47.9TPI(don't ask me why).

Those 0.110-50 screws and tap are likely a 6BA, which is 0.110 diameter, and 47.9TPI(don't ask me why).

There were two hand taps in the jar of screws, and they were laser marked .110-50, not 6BA. Such an odd size.

Andre, Very nice work on the Collet system. You sure you are 14? if you are and you stay with this you could quite possibly be the best Machinist/design enginer ever! You have both the skill and imagination needed. A little more knowlege and you will be better able to choose materials, calc. loads and all that. Consider the fact that there is a huge decline in the number of manual machinists right now do to all the CNC stuff out there, you could be carying the torch for the future of the manual machinist. One last thing, I have been working with metal for over 30 years Mostly in steel fab and erection. Only in the last few years have I started doing machine work in the sense of using a lathe and mill. but with all my background in metal working you just blew me away. Thanks for the great forum! still looking forward to seeing video of this thing working. Mark

Andre, Very nice work on the Collet system. You sure you are 14? if you are and you stay with this you could quite possibly be the best Machinist/design enginer ever! You have both the skill and imagination needed. A little more knowlege and you will be better able to choose materials, calc. loads and all that. Consider the fact that there is a huge decline in the number of manual machinists right now do to all the CNC stuff out there, you could be carying the torch for the future of the manual machinist. One last thing, I have been working with metal for over 30 years Mostly in steel fab and erection. Only in the last few years have I started doing machine work in the sense of using a lathe and mill. but with all my background in metal working you just blew me away. Thanks for the great forum! still looking forward to seeing video of this thing working. Mark

Thank you very much, Mark!
I actually just turned 15 two weeks ago.
I'll get a video when it's running, I promise :))

Looks like a new countersink is in order. You would have less burrs

I have single flute, helical triple flute, 6 flute, etc.
What post are you referring to that I said I had a dull countersink?

The Engineer puts it on paper, the Machinist makes it work. I always felt that part of a Machinists job was to make Engineers look good, they never proved me wrong. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

"Billy G"

You're almost right, the way it goes is: The engineer puts it on paper, the machinist makes it, and the mechanic makes it work.

Jim

You're almost right, the way it goes is: The engineer puts it on paper, the machinist makes it, and the mechanic makes it work.

Jim

At the GM plant where I worked for 30 years, the Machinist was the Mechanic. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

"Billy G"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back