Homemade Lathe (WIP)

bravo

Registered
Registered
I have been collecting and buying parts for this project for months. I thought this would be a good place to share my project. I like the idea of sharing and bouncing ideas of of people. Not to mention getting some pointers from people with experience with a project like this.

20170404_191217_HDR.jpg

Screenshot_2017-04-20-19-42-44.png

20170419_183926_HDR.jpg

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey bravo , I love home made stuff about 5 life times ago I was in this guys shop and he showed me this lathe he made out of a straight 8 engine block . To bad about the Tapatalk for some reason it does not work well here hopefully some one will help out , I would like to see the pics .

I have been collecting and buying parts for this project for months. I thought this would be a good place to share my project. I like the idea of sharing and bouncing ideas of of people. Not to mention getting some pointers from people with experience with a project like this.
4e2ae27241a7a976cd43ed654bda7e17.jpg
89bccfef744cf76fd24f099d07787921.jpg
81d058ee4a2fda826740f7cd41546a0e.jpg

For some reason the pics will come up when quoted (or just go through the quote process, and then do not post the reply, if you just want to see the pics).

Bravo. I am a big one for home made stuff, but unless you are after something for a special pour pose, I think you would be much better off by looking for a good used lathe. The accuracy and strength will not be anything close to what you will get out of a real metal lathe. Just keep an eye out on Craigs list.

For some reason the pics will come up when quoted (or just go through the quote process, and then do not post the reply, if you just want to see the pics).

Bravo. I am a big one for home made stuff, but unless you are after something for a special pour pose, I think you would be much better off by looking for a good used lathe. The accuracy and strength will not be anything close to what you will get out of a real metal lathe. Just keep an eye out on Craigs list.
Honestly I just wanted to build something challenging. I have so much stuff I have been collecting for just such a project.

Do a Google search on Gingery lathes, or just home made lathes. There is lots of good info out there, just need to find the right search terms.

A couple of things you need to do, is make sure the saddle travel is parallel to the center-line of the spindle (unless you want to make everything tapered). Then the cross slide should be 90 degrees to the spindle, so cross cuts are flat. After that, strength, and repeat ability are things to look for.

Having a hole through the center of the spindle, is another good feature. Otherwise you will be limited to doing short pieces, or doing everything between centers.

Been watching videos reading articles and studying the lathe at work. I have learned so much about so many things I never had any clue about.

Back