Homemade power hacksaw

Braeden P

Registered
Registered
I want a bandsaw but no space want a power hacksaw but no money but with metal I was given along with some gears I’m starting to build a power hack saw . I have no u channel but some 2.5in by 3in angle that I will use. I have some more metal but it is 3in by 3in by 72in by 1/4in hot rolled each piece is $60 so no wasting any. I have a 1/6 hp motor 1725 rpm got it for 5 bucks at a flea market it is really heavy from about the thirty’s it is 16 lbs 35kg really heavy for 1/6hp all cast iron. I will make the hacksaw frame out of 3/16in aluminum
EDIT 35 LBS 16 KG

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 84
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 79
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    958.9 KB · Views: 77
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 77
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 73
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Cool! Looking forward to more progress! :)

The parts I need to order is some 3/4in bushings and some 3/4in shaft and some snap rings to hold the gears in the right place.i might order power hacksaw blades but I think normal ones will work for now. I need to weld the steel angle and my dad has an old Lincoln stick welder that was my great grandfathers but we need to use the generator to power it with 220 but my grand father has a big 400amp mig welder and he has 220 so I will probably bring it there to be welded. If I use stick I would probably Texas TIG for more filler in less passes.

Are you working from plans or just winging it?
I've thought about building one too, I found these plans looking for info On-Line.

Now - If I could just get my hands on a matching pair of connecting rods - I could get started

Attachments

• PS_hack_Saw.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 35
Are you working from plans or just winging it?
I've thought about building one too, I found these plans looking for info On-Line.

Now - If I could just get my hands on a matching pair of connecting rods - I could get started
No plans just coming up with it no one has the same stuff I do but will probably draw up plans for the arm.

Try any local place the builds performance car engines. I bet they scrap a lot of stock rods when they put good ones in an engine build.

Try any local place the builds performance car engines. I bet they scrap a lot of stock rods when they put good ones in an engine build.
[/
Maybe probably will get som small pieces of 3/4in all I need is like two 3in pieces with a slot for a snap ring and center hole with threads to have as little slop as possible.

Major setback number one. I got the gears to mesh properly but the brass part is bent so the gear wobbles. The piece of brass I “scraped” with a chunk of hss with a curve on the end. The “scraping” was for spots for oil to stay and now I am going to draw the part up that will fit in the gear in shaper 3D and see if my neighbor can make it with his CNC mill.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    991.3 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I just found the piece that the reducer will be made of. It is half in aluminum and there is a spot that I can make it from

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
Back