Homemade power hacksaw

me and my brother welded it up my grand father said i did pretty good but ive seen better beads when using a clothe hanger but i did pretty good on welding across with no rest. about 40in of mig welding it sounded like bacon cooking but some times it just went POP POP POP and did not go to well so i went over the bad welds with a better one. i will post some pictures later.
lessons learned spatter hurts your hands and hair and fixtures mater now it has a big dip in the middle.

Last edited:
I did some bad welding and some good not the best at all.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
I can tell you did not clean off the scale before welding, clean metal welds much better. All of that popping and porosity / cratering is due to contamination from welding dirty metal.

I can tell you did not clean off the scale before welding, clean metal welds much better. All of that popping and porosity / cratering is due to contamination from welding dirty metal.
i have no idea how peyton got that on big spot but everywhere else is good i think he was to far away so there was no shielding gas.

i have made the part that holds the blade and the contact surfaces have to be worn in and did some "scraping" on the moving parts for oil but it just turns to black sludge.

Now have bevel gears to use and some more gears so this thing will be noisy and dangerous so my mom will not like it. I am getting my first lathe soon and am so excited to get it and a will need a lathe to make lots of parts for this

That old 1/6 HP is likely better than a new 1/2 HP motor. (Horses ain't what they used to be!)
I am "watching" this thread.
Thanks for sharing.
-brino

Back