Homemade T-Nuts

I usually stake threads with a center punch and a BFH. Don't need the "good size fine adjustment tool", save that for when you need to beat it till it fits....... :laughing:

I usually stake threads with a center punch and a BFH. Don't need the "good size fine adjustment tool", save that for when you need to beat it till it fits....... :laughing:
Hack, hack, hack. Anyone care about best practices here?

Best practice was already mentioned, tap to one turn short of going through with a bottoming tap and you will have machined exactly what you want/need without having to bend metal to make it work.

A center punch and hammer is actually quite common for staking threads on commercially made equipment. I have found it used on Lawn equipment, cars, trucks, motorcycles, and even airplanes. Yes there are also times where a press is used with a die for a mor controlled or repeatable end result. But there is not always room to do that.

How do you stake the T-nut? I know the reason its done, just not sure how its accomplished.
I cut the bottom thread in 4 places with a sharp rap of a cold chisel on an angle, maybe 15/20°. This deforms the last thread.

@American Machinist, while laying in bed this morning I was thinking about yer nuts. You could nickel plate them too. Very easy to do, they look great and will not corrode.

I need some new T nuts and had the thought of keeping the T section as a long bar with the two studs that fit the distance between the two holes in my tool post.
The idea being that it can slide in the channel but the studs are the correct spread to just sit the tool post into place.
Can anyone see a reason this is not done?

I cut the bottom thread in 4 places with a sharp rap of a cold chisel on an angle, maybe 15/20°. This deforms the last thread.
Ive done it this way on a couple of T-nuts but it seemed to give out and allow the stud to go all the way through after a while. I do use my clamp kit quite a bit and after resetting the work a few times the studs eventually thread though
I need some new T nuts and had the thought of keeping the T section as a long bar with the two studs that fit the distance between the two holes in my tool post.
The idea being that it can slide in the channel but the studs are the correct spread to just sit the tool post into place.
Can anyone see a reason this is not done?
Are you talking about a lathe tool post?

Back