Homemade Tramming Indicator

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys taking ya'll advice I decided to try and make my own.I been watching lots of Youtubes on these and each one guys saying cost near nothing cause they had material already.Well that's not me,I had to purchases all the material for this which kinda comes close to what Edge would cost.But there's no fun in buying,right? Will sometimes there is:) But buying new there is no experience gain in that so here I goooooo.Now me being new at the lathe and at the mill one would say looking at pictures is easy but milling not so much.Here's pic of the beginning which I kinda wanted it to look similar to the edge which explains why I chose to go with a circle for the gage which going to raise the gage little so that it looks like its in center instead showing my layout mistakes.Any ideals on design before I go further or suggestions please let me know.May not be able to work on this project this weekend due to grand kids and football.:)Tram.jpg

"each one guys saying cost near nothing cause they had material already.Well that's not me"

Exactly! What do these guys do that they have that much "Scrap" left over from other jobs, I caught one the other day & they pulled out a piece of T6061 that must have been 6 X 12 & 2" thick out of his "pile", I'd have trouble buying that, let alone what it must've been cut off of!

Thats what my wife always says why not buy one cheaper but its no FUN ! then. I built a mini bike for grandson cost alot more than buying one but we have memories of building when he was five ....

Attachments

• IMG_2183.JPG
    IMG_2183.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2213.JPG
    IMG_2213.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 19
Bobdog, Awesome picture. I have a similar one of my son around the same age posing next to his "bike" that looks very similar only his helmet mohawk was red. He started off riding with me as soon as he was able to sit himself upright on the tank and loved every minute we were able to get away. I miss those days :disspirited:.

Thinking about an inventory of raw material, and how to get it, a friend and I have bid together on several auction lots and split the pile. A single lot seems like too much material and too much money, but half turns out about right.

Back