Homemade vertical mill/drill CNC project

matthewsx

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm sure some of you have seen my posts in the general section about this project.

But now that I'm ready to start on the controls I figured it would fit better here (mods please let me know if there's a more appropriate place).

I got a nice package of NEMA 23 stepper motors from a fellow member here and am about ready to jump into it.

I already have my PC setup with LinuxCNC and a parallel card, PCI video card is on the way too since the onboard video may be problematic.

I'm currently working with this ST-V3 breakout board.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0093Y897A/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and these TB6600 stepper drivers

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XSBB45M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My plan is to keep things fairly simple and try to get everything talking first before working on the mountings.

Any and all comments, criticism, suggestions, etc. is appreciated since I've never done anything remotely like this before.

Cheers,

John

matthewsx

I also plan on converting the table I have to linear slides and ballscrews.

tablelin1.jpeg

matthewsx

Another milestone, I have LinuxCNC talking to my stepper through the ST-V3 interface board and a TB6600 driver.

talkie1.jpeg

talkie2.jpeg

matthewsx

I just bought this thing on the bay today.
I'm sure it will be accurate, hopefully it will be rigid enough.

s-l1600.jpg

matthewsx

Back together with some improvements like replaced the Y-axis screw with a straight one, fixed geometry for max table travel and stainless cover between the base and joints.

mill1.jpeg

I have some cast stock to make workholding fixtures so I can ditch the cheap vise.

John

matthewsx

Well, this was today....

The Z axis wouldn't go up or down, the roll pin that holds the ring onto the ballscrew sheared so I figure it's as good a time as any to strip her down and redesign all the stuff that's been bugging me.

complete.jpeg

base-Z.jpeg

XY.jpeg

John

matthewsx

I re-arranged the ballscrew and head mounting, then mocked up a direct drive from underneath to test capacity. I'll definitely have to go to a NEMA 34 stepper motor but was planning on doing that anyway (I already have the drives). Also I ordered some epoxy so I can start building the mold for the epoxy/granite base I had planned originally.

testz.jpeg

John

matthewsx

Finished getting my garden in so I had some time to get back to the mill.

Built the Z axis mount for my new NEMA 23 425oz motor.

DSCN1340.JPG

DSCN1341.JPG

It works great so I put the mil back together, still waiting on epoxy so I can pour the base.

DSCN1342.JPG

1ohn

macioman

Registered
Registered
How did you determine the appropriate center screw size for optimal bed size/weight/travel?

matthewsx

How did you determine the appropriate center screw size for optimal bed size/weight/travel?
Hi and welcome to the forum.

That's a great question but one I really don't have an answer for. When I bought the X-Y stage off ebay it had a little bitty thing for the Y-axis.

I knew it probably wouldn't work but set it up anyway to make sure. I already had a 1605 ballscrew and some linear rail so that's what I went with. The new Y-axis was really just a SWAG on what I thought would work but there was a lot of trial and error in getting everything lined up right.

There are a bunch of guys on here who can probably give a more scientific answer, and there are books with calculations + manufacturers documentation to go on if you are designing from scratch. My project is really a design as you go exercise more than anything else.

Hope that helps, let us know what your goals are and maybe we can give specific advice.

Cheers,

John

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock