[4]

Homemade vertical mill drill

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

MontanaLon

Registered
There was a guy local to me selling the castings from a Delta radical harm saw. Bed, column, and then the articulating parts for the arm for $25. I looked at them hard as they seemed to be half way to a light duty mill already.

ThinWoodsman

Registered
There was a guy local to me selling the castings from a Delta radical harm saw. Bed, column, and then the articulating parts for the arm for $25. I looked at them hard as they seemed to be half way to a light duty mill already.
Naw naw naw man - CNC welder :)

matthewsx

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Excuse my ignorance. How will you "Tram" that?
Hi Robert,

The column is hollow and fits over another very stout steel tube, it's not welded to the base. There will be bolts to hold it in place and others to provide adjustment.

Thanks,

John

matthewsx

Interesting, I believe you possess a million times my patients.
Hi Robert,

I took on this project because I wanted a challenge and the winters here are brutally long and cold (I'm originally from the SF Bay Area). I also don't really have the expectation that it will be super accurate but it should be good enough for my use and by building it myself I know I'll be able to improve it as time goes on. Mostly I really just wanted to learn about building machines and CNC so there's that.

I have less than $500 into it so far and expect to have it completed for less than $1000, I already have linear rails for the table and some of the control pieces I will need. Sure I could have bought a used RF30 and been making chips already, or I could have gotten one of those cheap Chinese CNC "engravers" but where's the challenge in that?

I'm still looking out for a full size knee mill but that will probably have to wait until I (hopefully) move back to California. If all goes well I should have a place in Santa Cruz soon so maybe we could meet up and talk shop.

Cheers,

John

matthewsx

So, what I'm learning is that this spindle really wants to run at >10K rpm. I think that means using small carbide end mills and CNC programming.

I have the ballscrews, linear rails, steppers and controllers to retrofit the table I have which I think will be ok once I get rid of the dovetails and acme screws.

I'll probably move this thread over to the CNC area once I really get going on that but so far I'm happy with the rigidity and feel like everything is close enough to being square that I will be able to tram the table pretty well. It's been a long journey to get to this point and I know I'm only a little way along the path, but this forum and all of you have been such a great source of inspiration and support I just want to say Thank You:)

Cheers,

John

matthewsx

LinuxCNC, ST-V3 interface board and TB6600 stepper driver. Time to make some adapters....

Attachments

Creativechipper

Registered
Ya listen to that lil stepper go!! Glad to see you getting some use out of the motors!! Cant wait to see it completed

matthewsx

Y axis is a little weak so getting a new one ready.IMG_7251.JPG

Last edited:
[5] [7]