Honden L-450 info needed

Hogden 8

Registered
Registered
Hi, I just picked up a 1984 Honden L-450 mini bench lathe. Looks to be 8 x 18". It's in great condition, minimal- maybe no wear. Having an issue where I cannot get the small V belt to reach across the pulleys for the higher spindle speeds. Seems like the belt is too short or something? Also, there is no information for threading on the front placard that shows spindle speed's. Does have power feed, does anyone know if this is capable of doing threads and if so – I need gears- seems about impossible to find parts for this. Any ideas? Does anyone have one of these? I pulled a manual on line for an "Emco compact 8" looks to be very similar.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hi, I just picked up a 1984 Honden L-450 mini bench lathe. Looks to be 8 x 18". It's in great condition, minimal- maybe no wear. Having an issue where I cannot get the small V belt to reach across the pulleys for the higher spindle speeds. Seems like the belt is too short or something? Also, there is no information for threading on the front placard that shows spindle speed's. Does have power feed, does anyone know if this is capable of doing threads and if so – I need gears- seems about impossible to find parts for this. Any ideas? Does anyone have one of these? I pulled a manual on line for an "Emco compact 8" looks to be very similar.
--- so, I've done a couple of hours of research and have found nothing. It seems like this is the only Honden L – 450 in the world .

Update. This lathe is quite capable of cutting many different US and metric threads. So, I bought a full set of metal gears from Little machine shop.com – excellent product. The ID bore was a little undersize which was fine, bored the smaller ones on the lathe and the larger ones on my jet-16 mill. Also bought a wedge type (Steele) OXA quick change tool post. Having fun and loving it but shopping for something a little bigger, maybe up to 12“ x 36“.

260BB28C-8919-4841-8E0F-E5FF0036ED84.jpeg

image.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve gone bigger. Picked up an Enco Turn-Pro 13x40. Sold the great little Honden- I’ll miss it! I have a scanned copy of the Honden L-450 manual if someone needs it. Message me with your email address and I’ll send it.

That is quite a noticeable increase in size. I do feel a little sorry the Honden did not work out for your needs. I will confess I rarely hear much about those lathes.

I’ve gone bigger. Picked up an Enco Turn-Pro 13x40. Sold the great little Honden- I’ll miss it! I have a scanned copy of the Honden L-450 manual if someone needs it. Message me with your email address and I’ll send it.
Hi. I was wondering if you still had a pdf copy of the manual for the Honden L-450. My Dad has inherited one and has noticed that one of the gears is missing. He is hoping to get details so he can have one made or find one to purchase. Thanks.

I too am in need of info for L450 please? How can I get pdf or similar? Mines actually branded Bransby but my research says same thing. Thanks

Good morning, Sir:

Your machine is almost identical to one of mine. Excepting color and lack of an external change gear adjustment. Belts were a big issue at one time.

They are specifically a Gates 5M series. Mine is a Gates 5M710. The ...710 is the length in millimeters. I have had interaction with other lathes that had other lengths, up to ...730. The big issue is finding a source for the Gates brand that can measure yours and will source the 5M series in small quantities.

For what it's worth, I have used Motion Industries and purchased several smaller sizes for generic use. The 5M series has some surprisingly stout characteristics for its' size.

And finally, I just realized how long this post has been up, and apologize for being late, again, as usual.

Bill Hudson​

Back