Hoping to ID Bike

silverhawk

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hey, folks. I am hoping to get a motorcycle identified. Can anyone tell me what bike this guy is riding on? I'd love to get it to a range of years, too, but with as grainy as this picture is, I'd be satisfied with even knowing a maker. (Part of me keeps wondering if I'd already asked the group, but I couldn't find a post anywhere.)

hog.jpg

Thanks!

Has a glide front end. I'd say a 1949 Harley Panhead, EL or FL. Mike

Looks like a old Harley with a suicide shifter

I have never been on a bike with a suicide shifter. Always thought they were cool, but never got to try one out.

Looks more like an Indian...but I guess it's a Harley.
Explore-historic-Lowell-Arizona-old-50s-cars-and-historic-Indian-Motorcyles-fill-the-town-4774-68-copy.jpg

Looks more like an Indian...but I guess it's a Harley.
Explore-historic-Lowell-Arizona-old-50s-cars-and-historic-Indian-Motorcyles-fill-the-town-4774-68-copy.jpg

The Harley in that picture looks pretty accurate, except for the fenders. Do you folks know if the fender differences were model-specific or year-specific?

Here's a pic of a 49. I believe the fender stayed the same thru 58, and the hard tail frame was around until 57, so no newer than that, and still would say 49-53. I had quite a few over the years from 1946 on up. Mike

1949-harley-davidson-fl-hydra-glide-1.jpg

I agree with fomoco.thinking 50-52.has beehive tail light.tin primary..I have some of same lights as on rear fender.7"headlight. I have similar picture of my grand dad on a Harley .

Right next to the taillight are 3 "Sergeant stripe" trim pieces. These were only standard on Panhead EL, FL, and 45 solo WL models in 1949 and 1950. It's clearly either an EL or FL. So unless they were added later, the bike is 49 or 50.

Back