Horizontal arbor question

John TV

Registered
Registered
I have a VanNorman #12 milling machine which uses a 1" horizontal arbor. I have some cutters but keep seeing more cutters listed at 1.25" arbor. Has anyone used an "adapter" to use the 1.25 cutters on a 1 inch arbor? I think I could make one on the lathe fairly precisely for the thinner cutters but would be much harder for a 3" slab cutter as an example. I would need a very long keyway on the inside and outside of such an adapter. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made an adaptor for gear cutters, just a shouldered bushing with a key slot and a step key to match; for a slab cutter, make two. Best thing, find and purchase 7/8 and 1 1/4 arbors.

Thanks for the info, two would work as long as it was robust enough to take the torque. Do you think a 1/2 inch inside depth with key would be enough strength? Im really new to this but I don't think anyone made a larger arbor for the number 12. It has a fairly rare 5v collet head.

Yes, 1/2" should be enough, the key could extend all the way through the length of the adaptors and cutter.

Thanks for the advice. Think I may have to try this.

Yes, you can sleeve the horizontal arbor. I have imperial arbors and one can get mm bore metric cutters from Aliexpress at very reasonable prices. 22mm seems a common bore size for the involute cutters. I made a 0.750" to 0.866" adapter sleeve. I made a little dowel pin that engaged both key ways - it worked great.

Your sleeve is only 0.125" thick (1" arbor, 1.25" bore cutter). Consider putting several little through pins all in a row.

If you are thinking of quite a bit of use - consider making some arbors. It would be pretty standard between center turning. The 5V appears pretty small, it almost looks like you could just cut down a #40 arbor?

I think I have heard that even an R8 can be cut down to a 5v. That said my machining skills are a bit low on the learning curve but hope in the not too distant future I will have the ability to give a replacement arbor a try. In the mean time your pin suggestion is a good alternative especially on the thinner cutter.

As others have mentioned making a bushing/spacer is a valid option. I have a 1940's era US Machine Tools horizonal mill with a 1" arbor. When looking for cutters I found far more with a 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" bore. In addition those with the larger bore were less expensive. Since they fit larger machines they were more plentiful and there was less demand by hobbyists.

I made bushings about 2" long with an internal keyway to fit the 1" arbor and another external key way at 180* to fit the cutters. I also made collars to fit the bushing/spacer so the cutter could be positioned anywhere along the bushing.

I probably have around a couple hundred different size and profile cutters ranging from .016" to 2.000". They are a mixture of 1", 1 1/4" and 1 1/2" bores. I also made around a hundred or so spacers to be able to position the cutter anywhere on the arbor.

I do need a few more cutters to complete a job. One of the surplus machine dealers in our area has hundreds if not thousands. Unfortunately he only as the sizes I need in 1 3/4" and 2" bores. It looks like I'll be making some more bushings in the near future.

Great info and good to hear I have options. Would you be willing to share the machine dealers name? I'm I Mn and sometimes get over by your area.

The name of the dealer is HR Liquidations. It's on highway 22 across from the high school in Waupaca WI. Here's the link to their website:
https://rhliquidators.net/

Ask for the owner Ryan. I've bought all kinds of equipment and tools from him in the past. His prices have always been reasonable.

Back