Horizontal Band Saw Motor Adjusting Machanism

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
The Mickey Mouse set-up has to go.
I can't believe what I now have was engineered for this beautiful commercial saw.
I have a Marvel 612. It's old, it's heavy and it's built.
I want a simple belt adjuster.
Currently there is a 1/4 NC threaded hole in the cast iron. (see pics) The bolt I have in there now is just to keep the motor from swinging down and putting pressure on the belt cover hinges.
I could drill and tap the hole to a more substancial 3/8 threaded hole with a threaded rod that will allow me to move the motor back to the desired belt tension.
How are other horizontal band saw belt adjustments engineered?
I know it's a simple fix but I just can't believe this was the original set-up= too crappy.
Thanks

IMG_0551 (2).JPG

IMG_0552 (2).JPG

Not sure how your saw is set up but on mine the motor weight provides the belt tension .

1/4" is certainly too thin for that- I would go larger
Mark

Maybe originally there was a specially made fastener that was 1/4 on one side and larger on the other? Long since broken..

That's what I think , I'd bet it had a spring and a n adjustment knob to add or remove tension on motor. Any machine made by an old American company would never have a chincy bolt like that.

I have a Kalamazoo that has a similar set up. Mine has a 5/16 stud coming off the saw frame with a spring about two inches long between saw frame a motor plate with a adjustment knob. It really doesn't see forces. I've only had to touch spring setting in the winter when really cold the gearbox lube thickens to where it makes the belt slip on start up.

Reactions: Z2V
My 12 X 36 lathe came with a similar mehanism. After wrestling with adjusting it several times I replaced it wiht a 3/8 bolt and a spare spring. MUCH better than the original....

Back